The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a lot of ways to use squirrel meat. I clean the squirrel and cook it off the bone then sift the bones out, you get a lot of meat from one that you would have missed. After that yopu can make Pot pie or other things.

My favorite is Squirrel cakes. Make them as you would when making Crab Cakes, only replace the crab meat with SQUIRREL. It's great TRY IT.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
hum,

Sounds interesting!

My 1 cousin takes squirrels and does like your saying of par boiling them....then he takes every last bit of meat he can get off the bone and mixes with BBQ Sauce and cooks for awhile till it just gets cruchy over a charcoal grill...

When he first made it I thought it was to much time into it...but after tasting it, it was very good...my brother took that idea from my cousin and now BBQs Snapping Turtles the same way!

I have not a fan of squirrels to often... had to much squirrel pot pie when I was younger...but when I see something like this that is interesting and sounds good to eat...I end up shooting a few squirrels and trying it..

Thanks for the recipe!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
My daughter loves eating squirrel, she would tell the other girls in college that, and of course a lot of them thought that it was gross, but she stood her ground and said you should try it! That was a few years ago, but she always wants me to freeze some for her to have when she can get home.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
I seen a lot of ways to use squirrel meat. I clean the squirrel and cook it off the bone then sift the bones out, you get a lot of meat from one that you would have missed. After that yopu can make Pot pie or other things.

My favorite is Squirrel cakes. Make them as you would when making Crab Cakes, only replace the crab meat with SQUIRREL. It's great TRY IT.

Sounds yummy!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey! I do almost the same thing. I par boil, take as much meat off as I can, and then mix with leftover mashed Potatoes from the night before. I make a cake out of it with some flour, fry in a large pan with spices of your choice. Man! are they good. Paul

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wow, never thought of that. I am thinking the same, going to have to try this recipe for sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts