The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever try using squirrels as bait?? Way too warm for me to bother archery hunting...the bushy tails are out in full force.behind the house....finishing up some waxed dirt got trapping on the brain....never really hear of squirrel for bait....

I know fishers love squirrels.....thinking of just chunking then and fresh preserving with some SB....

Thoughts??

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I never used squirrels for bait. I suppose they would work.

However, before doing so, you might want to check with a WCO and inquire about the legality of doing so. I am far from an expert in law, but it seems to me there's a law about using game animals for bait and I'm pretty sure squirrels are classified game animals. Hey Look! I'm probably wrong, got my tail crossed with my ear, but really it wouldn't hurt to check, would it?

The best bait I ever used for skunks, opossums and gray foxes was the slop foods salvaged from the local greasy spoon that I liberally slopped in my stone cubbies. Those critters really honked that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds plausible....but at the same time, most all meat bait is deer, bobcat, beaver etc..

Will have to look into it...

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
ive used squirel and rabbit fresh and it works fine but if you get warm days and they rott you get rolled on sets and grinners.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
m06 asks...
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Anyone ever try using squirrels as bait??</span></span>
Yep.
Years ago an archery hunter ask if I used Squirrels for bait. I said, nope. He stated several times he watched a Coyote chase/or catch Squirrel. He once watched a pair of Coyote chase Squirrel.
From then on, I added Sqrirrel (with good results) to my list of bait critters.
When remaking a set after a catch, I usually add bait.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They are part of the food chain. Caught one two years ago by accident in a coni, altho I do set pole snares for them. Wasnt much left of it when I got there. Not sure what got it, maybe a mink, dont know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts