The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first pistol, and I have narrowed it down to the XDM in 4.5" or a Glock 22. .40 is my caliber of choice. I have heard great things on both, but was looking for some pros and cons on each from members of the forum. I would even take suggestions on other models or brands. I'm purchasing the gun for target shooting and home protection. My price range is around $600.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I own a Glock and have shot the Springfields and I really don't think you can go wrong with either. Shoot them both and buy the one that you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I own a couple glocks and shot a few XD's. The XD seems to have a "snappier" recoil, probably due to the higher slide height. Can't go wrong with either

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Both are known to be good guns.
You should get the one that feels best to you.

I own 2 Glocks and no XD's, but have shot a 9mm XD. So by definition, I am a Glock guy.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My younger brother has an XDm 40 and i have a XD 45 i love both guns they're accurate and easy to handle.I like that the XDm has interchangable backstraps to custom fit your hand.Not sure if glock has that feature or not.Never shot our handled a glock so i cant comment on those.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check out Hickock45 on youtube for some great down to earth gun reviews. I think he even does a side by side comparison of the glock and xd. I like both pistols and couldn't say one better than the other.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
CAMON NOW....this isn't a fair fight!! THE XD is the only way to go...just read all the reviews and read the results sheets of the majors... XD-40 with the 5 inch ported barrel..an awesome weapon!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Either of those two pistols are fine for home protection; however, if you are new to semi-auto pistols, training and practice is very important. 40 S&W is more expensive to shoot, and for some people, the recoil can be an issue. My suggestion would be to buy a good 9mm, and become proficient with that weapon. 9mm ammo is adequate for home protection. 9mm can also be obtained in +P loadings with H-P bullets if a more powerful load is desired, after you learn the fundamentals and are able to achieve proper accuracy with FMJ range ammo.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The XD is a good gun.

The Glock is a great gun.

But no matter which....it has to fit your hand and style. The XD does neither for me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have both. XDM in 9mm and a Glock 23 which is a compact .40 cal. I would not feel undergunned with either. I can shoot better targets with the 9mm and the XDM seems to be a more natural pointer FOR me. However the Glock is usually on my hip when I leave the house. Go shoot em both and see which feels better to YOU. You won't be disappointed with either.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have both. I shoot better with the XD. It is more of a natural pointer for me. I do find locking out the slide is more of a pain with the XD though because of the grip safety.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I was looking very seriously at getting and XD or XDM. Talked to a friend who was a USMC armorer and had owned several XDs.

His advice to me was to get a Smith&Wesson M&P or M&Pc over the XD. I now own one of each and they are amazing all-around. I have and M&P45 and an M&P9c.

The M&P9c is like nothing else i have ever shot before in terms of handling, just so natural.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My biggest complaints with the M&P's is that S&W didn't make them easier to field strip and the triggers are harder to improve. Otherwise they are a great gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts