The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted an 1911 like the type I carried in military... The Springfield Armory GI 1911 is almost an exact duplicate.

Does anyone like how they shoot?

It only comes with one clip..I would like to get another.. Probably could order one right from Springfield Armory?

Found a place that sales some nice miltary holster too.
Type you wear on the belt and one also under the shoulder.
Comes in brown and black and right hand or left hand.. Brown has U. S. insignia the black has USMC on it.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Springfield makes some nice pieces, I'm sure it will be great. You can get 1911 magazines anywhere shooting supplies are sold. I use Chip McCormicks.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GI can accept two magazine..the 7 shot magazine or the 10 shot magazine.. Don't like the 10 since it sticks out the bottom but will work..

I was in the USCG...Our 1911 blued barrels were not so blue anymore...However they performed well. Now I wish I had one of those old ugly ones we used in the USCG?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
the springfield armory GI 1911 A1 is pretty much what i had on in '68/'70 but they made me give it back > i have a springfield 'loaded model' that shoots great and diqest's anything you put in the mag from hardball,hollow pts,reloads. the magazine's if you want to keep it all springfield can be purchased directly from springfield armory

·
Registered
893 Posts
I bought a springer G.I model shortly after they came out with it. It'll take any 1911 mags.
Gun shoots well and runs fine. Brass gets banged up when ejected but other than that it's been a good gun.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vapor trail said:
the springfield armory GI 1911 A1 is pretty much what i had on in '68/'70 but they made me give it back > i have a springfield 'loaded model' that shoots great and diqest's anything you put in the mag from hardball,hollow pts,reloads. the magazine's if you want to keep it all springfield can be purchased directly from springfield armory
Outstanding Idea of keeping it all Springfield Armory...Price was not bad either for the 7 shot mag...
Like I said they had the 10 also but I did not want it sticking out the bottom...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Keeping it all springfield I don't understand?
If I recall Metalform makes the mags for the springer 1911 and can be had from other sources than springer thereselves.
SO wouldn't matter where it came from , no one would know

·
Registered
96 Posts
hunterx said:
Keeping it all springfield I don't understand?
If I recall Metalform makes the mags for the springer 1911 and can be had from other sources than springer thereselves.
SO wouldn't matter where it came from , no one would know
it really doesn't matter but its just the point - its neat to have it all the same company ... of course nobody would know, but you would know, you know? (i had to :D)

i like the idea of keeping it all springfield - nice

·
Registered
893 Posts
Springfield does not make their 1911 mags , so it's not all the same company straight out of the box.
That would be my point.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Regardless of who makes them, my original Springfield 1911 mags say SA45NM on the bottom, which is probably what the poster meant about "keeping it Springfield"?

My other 1911 mags are unissued GI mags. They came sealed in plastic pouches from the vendor. IIRC, they were manufactured in the 1970s. Price was right at the time, even if the finish doesn't exactly match my SA M1911A1 "loaded" mags.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I bought a GI couple months back, love it, no problems with it at all, I have just been buying kimber stainless .45 mags at the gun shop near me. You won't be dissapointed with this gun.

Love shooting it

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Notice the Gi kit comes with a updated new type magazine holder and a holster. You would have thought that they would have put one of those U. S. holsters we used in the service..

Sold separately the modern mag holder and modern holster would cost more.. Nice to get a kit and they give you things like this..

However if they wanted to make it like a GI 1911 they, Springfield Armory should have made it more realistic then giving you the modern mag and holster...

They could have given you Jack however? LOL LOL
Ah I take the new mag holder and holster.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I bought mine before they included any holster and mag pouch , shortly after when they included these things , the price went up.
I doubt they are "giving" anyone anything.
As long as we are concerned with being original to as issued , those Springer marked "U.S" grips would need to be changed to be "correct".
But I happen to like them none the less.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I bought some cheapo 7 round ,ags and some 10 round mags out of some magazine like cheaper than dirt for my 1911.
The 7 rounders work fine, but the 10 rounders tend to jam, I guess the springs don't push hard enough.

When I am carrying though I use 8 round Chip McCormick mags and they are sweet.

For some reason my 1911 only likes to eat 230 grain ammo, doesn't matter what kind as long as its 230 grain.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did purchase the two spare mags...7 shot from Springfield Armory. Both the spares and the one that came with the GI have no marking what so ever to ID them to Springfield Armory.
I could have also ordered 10 shot mags but they did stick out the bottom and I did not want that..

The Mag Holder and the Holster sold that comes with the GI sold as seperate items could cost about what a U. S. designated leather belt holster and leather mag holders would cost. I have yet to try the mag holders and the holster but might like it. When you picking shrooms and have to much bulky stuff on your side it can tend to slow you down a bit as you bend down to pick the Chaneterelle mushrooms in the Summer heat..

What should happen now is? Since I did buy the Mags from Springfield Armory that have been designated for the GI. The spring and operation should be up to SPEC.. Maybe?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I've been looking at the Springfield lightweight operator series. Gotta wait until I get my bike and car insurance paid though.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
uncle buck said:
so neat that the serial numbers start off with WW2.
I never even noticed that, I'll have to take a look at mine when I get home.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SgtUSMC said:
uncle buck said:
so neat that the serial numbers start off with WW2.
I never even noticed that, I'll have to take a look at mine when I get home.

I did notice in one of the pictures
that their GI serial number was WW 1.
I checked mine and it's also WW 1.
However the 1 and 2 are just a part
of the serial number. However it
does appear that all the serial
number do start with WW....I would
like to think they wanted it to be
this way WW AKA World War..?????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts