The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I believe Savage began offering the .222 around 1950....a WAG puts yours in the 1950-55 range for DOM.....

Don't think there is any SN history on those rifles? A call to Savage may prove otherwise though....

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Don't believe any of the older (and similar) Savage, Stevens or Springfield variants (340, 342, 840, etc.) ever had serial numbers? My Savage M342 22 Hornet has none, bought used in 1964.

Gun Control Act of 1968 mandated serial numbers on all firearms. Many manufactured earlier than that date, never had one.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
most manufactures did not put serial numbers on their low end guns, I guess it saved a few cents (no one had to change the number stamp after each gun. While Winchester put S.N. on the model 70 and 71s producted prior to 1968, you will not find serial number on any Winchester model 43.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Bob you could be right. The win 69 that is in my gun room doesn't. But IIRC when transfering a win 43 in 22 hornet, it was also missing a serial number which drove the FFL crazy. maybe an early manufacture/// I coould also be wrong, my memory got bad when my hair fell out...those could have been attached to each other LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts