The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread to track the spring migration of woodcock back into PA.

So far they have not arrived in western Mercer county (Northwestern Pa). We still have a couple of inches of snow on the ground.

I have seen reports of birds in SE PA, Montgomery county I believe.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I am not finding any in Somerset County (SW PA) at this time and I am working and training client dogs most every day.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've been looking in Lancaster County for the last couple weeks and have not seen any. I have been running a puppy though, so I could be missing them.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still haven't found woodcock in Mercer county as of 25-FEB-2013.

Last year we found the first birds on 29-FEB-2012, but we had an early warming spell that year.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Nothing yet in Adams County.

I took Willie out on the family farm this evening to the area we found some woodcock last spring. No finds yet.

I did get access to run WIllie on another farm that has some low lying wooded wet/swampy areas. Hopefully can find a few there this spring when the soil warms.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Killin time
Was that fall southern migration or spring northern migration?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I saw several woodcock in Perry County central PA. last Saturday while out goose hunting some lowland fields near the Susquehanna river.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I've been working with NJ Fish/Game in Central Jersey, have seen quite a few!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Willie got a point on 2 today on the farm. They're making their way in.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
None yet today in Forest county, though they would need 12" beaks to get through the crusted snow down to the frozen ground in the places were were walking.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts