The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The past 2 years that I've owned my house we have had woodcock singing in the field behind it in the middle of February.

I haven't heard a thing yet. I don't expect to untill the weather breaks and the ground clears.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Watch for Robins- both eat earthworms. Probably like the rest of us... waiting for the melt.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have flushed up to 9 birds within a 60yd walk next to my house with my GSP. I'm also waiting for the thaw to see if we can find some birds.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I'm really fortunate to have a woodcock singing ground in my back yard. Many people have come over to sit behind my shed and listen for that familiar "twittering" sound as they fly high in the air and tumble back to earth. I've been trying for years to catch this on video but they do it when it just gets dark and haven't been successful. They usually show up about the third week in March at my place. Last year was not a good year because of the very damp, cold conditions. I'm hoping after this brutal winter, spring will make it's presence felt real soon!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Lyco Setter said:
Watch for Robins- both eat earthworms. Probably like the rest of us... waiting for the melt.
Here in NEPA, robins have been back in good numbers for a few weeks now, haven't seen any woodcock though. Getting excited though for this spring "season." I just got my latest copy of my RGS magazine and the woodcock articles got me all fired up to get out there with my buddy.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have yet to see one. Honestly they annoy me immensely in the spring w/ their carrying-on, them and killdeer.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
The first robins of the year arrived in my area this morning. The ground is still frozen solid, but the temp is above freezing for the first time in weeks. I'm getting ready to take the dogs out as soon as I finish typing this.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
The central tundra is still frozen, but we did find one bird. Most of the seeps are still frozen over, but we did find a few with open ground. Camera wouldnt zoom and I didnt want to get closer for a pic knowing with the limited area, it wouldnt hold very well.

I always find birds in this area the first weekend in March, a couple weeks before they start to show up in the surrounding covers. My guess is some never migrate south; I'm thinking some didnt make it through the tough winter this year.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
No birds around here yet, but on the bright side it's the cleanest the dogs have ever been after a March woodcock run.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Lost- it was a little tough to see your dog in that picture. I'll be happy when the snow is gone but we are expecting another 6-10 inches here. Any birds that make it through this winter have earned it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I saw some Killdeers for the first time today. Usually the doodles aren't far behind, but Old Man Winter fell and can't get up this year. Gonna be interesting over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No sign of woodcock yet, but have had robins in my yard in Tioga County since Monday. The robins are a long way from dining on worms as there is still considerable snow here, and frozen ground underneath. The birds have been feeding on the few remaining apples on my apple trees.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The barn cats have gotten more birds than I have seen other than the local doves and starlings.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Exciting news! I found at least one. Took the dog out yesterday to run along a creek bottom, the snow was still pretty deep though and we didn't find any birds even along the open seeps. However, I got up early this morning and let him out and while I was standing on the porch I heard this sound, almost insect-like, coming from the grass field in front of my house. It's a small patch of wet ground with seasonal springs and surrounded by small, young woodlot. Great habitat just on a smaller scale I always thought. Now I have never, ever known what a woodcock sounded like. I never had a mentor to teach me this as a younger hunter. So I keep listening to this strange sound, wondering all the while. Well thank you Google and YouTube because later today I was able to verify that what I heard was the oft-described "Peent" of an American Woodcock, right out my front door too! I know I've heard that sound a few times before in my life but I never knew what it was. Now I'm excited to know exactly what a woodcock sounds like.

Hopefully the dog didn't chase it away. I'd love to try to watch their mating ritual flight

1 - 20 of 73 Posts