The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I asked this in another thread, but just want to be sure. Is chasing rabbits at this time of year going to cause breeding issues? I was chasing bunnies with the pup the other day when the dog chased momma rabbit away from baby rabbit. The baby was big enough to run on his own so I know he was big enough to live, but I'm worried that if I chase them too much I will end up causing a nest to be lost. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aww but I would feel so bad if baby bunny died cuz of my dog... maybe I'm just a softie lol... Oh well it's either train him and help him improve or not train him and have a mediocre hunting dog. Between the two, I will improve him

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Lots of bunnies die cuz of my dog, without him they wouldn't run to the gun, lol.

No problem unless the dog catches a kit.
Multiple breedings per year, no problemo.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol it's different when an adult rabbit runs in front of the gun... though come to think of it I'm not quite sure why it is different. Huh.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Nope, no problem. If the babies are in the nest momma will come back. If the babies are out of the nest they're on their own anyway. My dogs have issues trailing babies anyway. The little buggers just zig zag in tiny cirles all over th eplace and confuse the heck out of the dogs. Doubt they'd ever catch one unless it was dumb luck or a dumb rabbit.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha ok guys
I was worried about the possibility of the mother abandoning the babies more than my dog catching one lol. It's all good though it's good to know that we don't affect them that much with spring running.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly, I haven't really had him out
I've been preoccupied with fishing and riding dirt bikes and work and school!!! Ugh too much to do! But he did well the last time I had him out, brought one back around for me so I can't complain. He's getting there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts