The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this applies to a lot folks on here so I hope this gets a little mileage on HPA. Every year starting usually around the first week of April starts a time period I call the Spring Rush. You spend all winter waiting for it anticipating it and all that only adds to your rising cabin fever temperature. Then suddenly that week comes where you know that Spring is indeed here to stay and your to-do list goes from 0-60 in about 2 seconds. Turkey hunting, trout fishing then walleye, ballgames and practices, lawn care, home improvements, landscaping, groundhog hunting, wash and wax those vehicles, spring school concerts and field trips, the every other night hockey games for you fellow NHL junkies, and for you farmers and habitat guys soil prep, tree planting, tree cutting, trail maintenance…. you guys don’t need anymore spelled out you know exactly what I mean, your living it too.

So many things you waited all those long winter months for are here and send you into a non-stop scheduling exercise trying to get little bits and pieces of all this into these now 14+ hours of daylight. Two months ago you figured you would be invincible with 14+ hours of daylight, but it proves not to be the case. All of it is good stuff, but can get tiring and little stressful all the same trying to keep up.

Through my years of cycling thru this Spring Rush which has really intensified with the expansion of my family, I have come to find a friend out there in something that is bound to happen anyway in the spring and that is the Rain. Look at the activity list above a good rain halts so many of the activities (but not all) and suddenly puts this previously scheduled timeslot for something in your lap, free and clear of all other appointments, because of some water coming from the sky. Ballgames are cancelled, can’t mow wet grass, who wants to plow mud, can’t wash the car….capitalize on it, take the time to hit the woods in the rain even if you can’t hunt turkeys or fish, get in the woods and take that break.

On a Potter County fly-fishing trip one year with my dad and his good buddy, we were along the stream and soon all under the same hemlock finding shelter from a sudden rain shower. My Dad’s buddy said “ this don’t look too bad, it is just a Spring Fresh-it” a term I never heard before, meaning that the rain would be brief and leave just enough water behind to freshen things up. He was correct and I walked away from that hemlock tree with a renewed sense from this term and I don’t think I ever enjoyed the sights, smells, and surroundings more than the fresh woods that lay along Kettle Creek that afternoon. Sure it helped to be in God’s Country when this realization was to hit me, but the details of the woods in the spring never struck deeper to my senses. Something I think off still today even when the spring rain is tapping off my windshield. The trout we were casting to took a backseat to just looking at the majestic mountainside next to the stream and taking in that hill’s renewal from the same long winter we went thru, as the little clouds of mountain fog rose up towards its top.

So my advice to you, whether you are in one of the many breathtaking mountain valleys of this state , or in a woodlot between housing developments, or a fencerow between farm fields use the rain as that excuse to leave the Spring Rush for just a minute to stop and spend that time in the woods watching what that rain means to it…not only does it give you the rest stop you know you will enjoy, but it will also give you a renewed sense in the importance of that cycle our wooded playground goes thru even when we have no outdoor activities on the schedule.

It is only water and refreshing water at that…
Hmmm, looks like rain this weekend, see you out there.

God Bless and be well. Enjoy it today, you won't get it back to do over.

RB

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
very unique outlook!! never thought about Rain as a friend but it is true!!

there are some days at work that I hope for rain, just so we can spend and evening at home, not at the ballfields, or mowing, or just running in general.

now if I could just find someone to patch a Slate roof I'd welcome the rain a little more

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, with the kind of schedule I have had lately a little water from the sky is not going to keep out of the woods. Looking forward to the weekend , rain or shine.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Rooster, you have a way with words , even making a light rain refreshing, after all we have had 3 inches this last week, and cant get in the fields,it still has romanticism to it.. Keep up the good words...

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
What a great post... absolutely awesome! Couldn't have been said better...

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
So true Rooster, so true.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts