The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time I planted rape in the spring.Now the question is do I keep it into the fall through early winter or use it as a summer feed and replant another crop in July?
Anybody know if rape goes to seed and eventually isn't edible to the deer?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Any time something goes to seed, it loses nutrients and is less palatable.

Buddy of mine planted a Mossy Oak rape/clover product in spring and eventually, during the winter, the deer ate it. Lebanon County, and they weren't wild about the rape.

Have you seen any evidence of foraging on it so far? If there are too many deer and not enough food, they'll eat it during the summer.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been up once since it sprouted and so far no deer sign.I know in the fall they hammer it.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there are too many deer and not enough food, they'll eat it during the summer.

Dutch,is it rare for them to eat the rape in summer?If so that might actually be good to give it a chance to grow.In fall they hammer it as soon as it sprouts.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I think you may be right. Giving it a chance may be a good idea. I planted some the 4th of July last year and it did well.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update dutch,a few found it and they hammered it.This is kinda an experiment so I only planted 1/4 acre.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Ok. Its just that the only time I've seen deer hammer rape during summer/early fall months is when there is little other food to eat. Yet, I don't think that's the case at your place, right?

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Dutch the food supply is pretty good for them.It took them awhile to find it but once they did goodbye rape.For whatever reason it seems to be their preferred food.Even over the neighbor's corn which he plants as foodplots.The only thing they might pick over the rape is the white oak acorns or as they call em down south acerns.

Yet a fellow I know in southern lanc county says they didn't even touch his rape heading into winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts