The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Spring gobbler with Fall Gobbler

3K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  dce 
#1 ·
Today was the last day of the spring gobbler season here in PA. Today I had an opportunity to hunt with fall gobbler on this forum. Long story how this all came about but what an adventure today. We got in our spot real early this morning and just as day was breaking we heard a hen way down at the bottom of the hill we were hunting. She called ever so softly for about 20 minutes slow working her way up the hill towards us. A pack of crows flew over and made enough noise to raise the dead. The ole boy gobbled to that, one time.

The hen continued to advance when she suddenly flew up to a near by tree next to the gobbler. After a short period they both flew down and the old boy start gobbling regularly on his own. Our set up was not that good and fall gobbler suggested that I get closer for a better look to see if I could spot him. After a short belly crawl to some down trees I was able to spot him coming our way. He was hidden behind 5 deer and I was afraid they would snort and the game would be over, well that never happened and once the deer left for the upper field it was me and the ole boy and at 35 yards it was all over. 19 lbs, 1" and 1 3/16' spurs and 8.75" beard. 6:25AM and the season ended and my second tag was filled. I owe this hunt to fall gobbler and I can't thank him enough. WE had a great morning to say the least.

Here is fall gobbler with the turkey

See less See more
#22 ·
LOL I talked to Fall Gobbler on Sunday night as I went to roost a bird, he said he was hoping to get you out on a bird he had located. Had I known it was that nice of a bird I would have pleaded to make the trip out east. LOL

Congrats on the bird, and congrats on the great hunt. One of these years ill get you two and Mike to come out to SWPA and show me how to kill birds. LOL this year stunk, and I wouldn't have had you guys waste your time lol

#23 ·
TurkeyMike, hunting turkeys is never a waste of time. Right now your putting to much pressure on yourself. Relax, enjoy the learning opportunites, it all comes together. You did not have a bad season with what you did for your nephew and friend. That was a success and I hope you learned a lot. I have kept a journal since 1982 on all my turkey hunts, great way to recap good and bad experiences. Helps you going forward too.

#25 ·
You'll eventually get much more satisfaction out of letting it unfold in front of other people like you did this year.Nothing is more fun than hunting spring gobblers.You still get to feel the excitement but you don't have to deal with a dead bird if someone else shoots it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.