The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for some private ground to just hunt turkeys in the spring love to hunt those big longbeards. tired of getting [want to be hunters]messing my hunts up.they cant call,try to limb lift them before they fly down and they sneak in between me and the gobbler i am working.that is what you have to deal with when hunting game lands in south central pa

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
There is a learning curve for "want to be " hunters .Remember that at some point you were one of them. Unless a new turkey hunter has a tutor to show them the ropes there are bound to be mistakes in the woods .Take it as a compliment that your calling has them thinking that you are a real turkey . If the hunter is trying to get setup on a gobbling tom I see no problem .Stalking is another matter . I expect such scenarios on the weekends on public land and take it in stride . If I hear another hunter calling to a gobbler I sit back and enjoy the show,wishing them luck. Just as entertaining to me.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You will deal with those problems on any public land and even some private property. IMO it's just part of the game. I killed my best gobbler to date on public property that ANYONE could hunt. IMO it just makes success all the better. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you want to get away from the crowds and hunt public land try western Perry County (Sheaffer's Valley, Blain/New Germantown and Fowlers Hollow areas). Thousands of acres. If you hunt weekends and go to easy access places you will find other hunters. If you can hunt during the week and travel a little you'll find lots of space. IF you do run into a hunter they may be some of the best turkey hunters around because some of the best hunt those woods. You may also run into some novice hunters but I haven't. I have hunted here the end of the first week several years in a row and found lots of room.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
joe i have been turkey hunting for 30 years and i make mistakes and any one thas say they dont are full of bull its a learning experince every year you learn a new trick from old tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree 100%. just that the guys i am talking about have no respect for other hunters. i hate when your working a tom and about to close the deal and some other hunter tries to ambush him and spooks him ,i dont have to kill a tom to enjoy myself but all i ask if you hear somebody working a turkey try another angle and call at it dont spook it by ambushing. it is all about calling him to you. yes you did hit the nail on the head every day in the turkey woods you learn something.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
DoubleGobble said:
If you want to get away from the crowds and hunt public land try western Perry County (Sheaffer's Valley, Blain/New Germantown and Fowlers Hollow areas). Thousands of acres. If you hunt weekends and go to easy access places you will find other hunters. If you can hunt during the week and travel a little you'll find lots of space. IF you do run into a hunter they may be some of the best turkey hunters around because some of the best hunt those woods. You may also run into some novice hunters but I haven't. I have hunted here the end of the first week several years in a row and found lots of room.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Set up is key..the closer the better 50-75 yds if possible..The set up will make or break your turkey hunt..setting up any farther away can and will ask for problems

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I hunt all private ground and deal with it every year.
Most are locals i've knowd for years and does no good to talk to them.They just don't get it and never will.

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts