The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
25,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting this for Don Heckman:

<span style="font-weight: bold">2014</span> Spring Gobbler Season

2014 Spring Gobbler Season is proposed to start on Saturday, April 26 for 1 Day Youth Hunt, and Saturday, May 3 for Regular Season Start Date.

Spring Gobbler Season would run from May 3 to May 31.

Is May 3 too late to start the 2014 Spring Gobbler Season?

Should the Regular Season Start Date be April 26? or April 19?

If so, why?

Don Heckman...

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Seems awful late to me, since we've had the late april opener for a while.

I'd like to see it start the 19th for the kids and 26th for the rest of us. Towards late May, it seem the birds are very tight-lipped as they exit the breeding season. I'd rather have my chances earlier at gobbling birds over ambushing a silent bird late in the season. I'm not overly concerned about getting a bird for myself, but I like having exciting footage when I'm hunting with someone else.

Regardless, whatever they decide the season is, that's when I'll be after them.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'd be 100% in favor of an earlier start. from my experience of scouting every minute I can from March thru May the birds are much more active mid to late April in my neck of the woods. Besides that by the end of May activity is nearly non existant and silent birds are much more common.

Has a split start ever been considered?? The Northern Tier seems a couple of weeks behind the Southern counties as far as "green up" and gobbling activity in my experiences.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
BONZy said:
I'd be 100% in favor of an earlier start. from my experience of scouting every minute I can from March thru May the birds are much more active mid to late April in my neck of the woods. Besides that by the end of May activity is nearly non existant and silent birds are much more common.

Has a split start ever been considered?? The Northern Tier seems a couple of weeks behind the Southern counties as far as "green up" and gobbling activity in my experiences.
Been working that angle for years, Bonzy. I have been working for a earlier start for some time now. Especially in the sw and se parts of the state where the spring green up is far ahead of the rest of the state. I saw poults the first week and bachelor gobbler groups the second week with little interest in the call. This trend has been becoming more normal for close to a decade now in these parts.

The fall seasons are differing lengths. I don't see why we can't alter our starts or change them based on weather variances. Look at any spring planting guide for PA and you can see the contrasts.

When the weeds are thigh high and visibility is less,than 20 yards on the opener, Houston, we have a problem.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I can't think of a reason why, other than the birds would be more vocal & probably respond to calling more if the season started earlier, say the middle of April. My reasons are pretty much selfish. But I would certainly welcome it.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Birds won't be more responsive to calling with an earlier to start to the season. They aren't going to come investigate some hen calling when they have the real thing to breed right in front of them. Some of the best hunting I've had has been the last week of the season after all the breeding has been done. We have a strong turkey population because the hunting season takes place after the majority of the breeding has already been done.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
New york season always opens on May 1, even if it's a Sunday.lol No problem finding them up there. We also opened in May before.I myself like to work the more mature birds near the end of our season.

Like the last poster mentioned my reasons and many others are pretty much selfish. I believe though if you want to see a bigger harvest then yes, start youth and the regular Spring gobbler season (2) weeks earlier. JMO.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
bigbear said:
Birds won't be more responsive to calling with an earlier to start to the season. They aren't going to come investigate some hen calling when they have the real thing to breed right in front of them. Some of the best hunting I've had has been the last week of the season after all the breeding has been done. We have a strong turkey population because the hunting season takes place after the majority of the breeding has already been done.
In the portion of Greene county amd Washington that I hunt, the majority of the breeding and laying is being done in April. Flocks are beginning to bust up and the gobblers transitioning back into summer patterns during opening week I saw poults the first week last year. It does seem that this is a trend that is occurring earlier and earlier.

I also realize that other parts of the state are vastly different. Here, thigh high weeds and almost full leaf out is common by the second week.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
bigbear said:
Birds won't be more responsive to calling with an earlier to start to the season. They aren't going to come investigate some hen calling when they have the real thing to breed right in front of them.
My experience hunting during our youth season & out-of-state where seasons start earlier tells me something different.

·
Super Moderator
13,714 Posts
I prefer the earlier start. I hear more gobblers then and they come in during the earlier start across the river in OH.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Uncle Nicky said:
bigbear said:
Birds won't be more responsive to calling with an earlier to start to the season. They aren't going to come investigate some hen calling when they have the real thing to breed right in front of them.
My experience hunting during our youth season & out-of-state where seasons start earlier tells me something different.
+1..me too. There's something wrong when our season comes in after NY's.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
Legislation to implement spring turkey stamps. $10.

License buyer has the option of purchasing a stamp for zone A or B or both. Each zone having a different start and end dates.

Don has been wishing for a turkey stamp for some time. Well, here ya go. The perfect opportunity.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I think May 3 is definitely too late. What is the reason behind it?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
WHY is it that the PGC can't stand it when something is successful...everytime and I mean everytime they start changing things due to the brilliant minds that work there they completely mess things up... Which outstanding biologist came up with this one.. I hope the PA-NWTF takes a major major stance against it.. it can't be with the numbers of the turkey population..it's at an all all time high... they just can't stand it... there's no other reason.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
GobbleBuck said:
don't question authourity....they know what is best for all of us!

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
GobbleBuck said:
It is how the calendar plays out in 2014. Historically the season is four weeks and ends on memorial day.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I remember a couple of years ago youth season opened the first day of trout season. It would be nice if it was like that every year and regular season would follow the next weekend. It seems odd that next years opener would start almost a full week later than this years. I know they say weather doesn't play any part of it, but my experience during early springs is the season ends before it starts.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I dont like the late date at all. I am good with the end of April but remember when it was a week earlier too. Turkey population according to the NWTF is down 15 % nation wide. If numbers are declining then do not offer a second spring tag and give an option to use your fall tag if not filled as the second tag. I would like to hear what the PGC has to say about the late date.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
RaspyJoe said:
I know they say weather doesn't play any part of it, but my experience during early springs is the season ends before it starts.
Yep. I do firmly believe with birds, weather is the key. Birds will nest amd lay earlier if spring comes early. And, springs have been coming earlier and earlier in the sw and se part of the state for some time.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Am I missing something or is May 3rd a Friday? At least Windows tells me it is.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts