The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a couple hours this afternoon. Ended up catching around 15 gills and 8 or 10 crappie. The wind made it a little bit challenging, but it felt good to hit the water. Next week looks nice for a spring fling.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yea I am getting the itch real bad lately. Planning on getting my '16 fishing license next week.. looking forward to this weather breaking and turning the clocks ahead in a few weeks!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I was thinking about it - since all ice is now off ponds.
This week for sure - I will gear up with slip float rig, jigs and wax worms and see how it goes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
How's the bite going for you guys? How do you find the fish when you don't know the depth or where the fish are suspended? I've been going out the past couple days and caught 10 today without any keepers. Everyone I saw was catching fish at various depths.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
I stopped at Pymatuning today, snooped around a little. Saw a few jumbo crappies caught ( 15 inch). Talked to a couple guys who caught 30 a piece yesterday. Cold front slowed the bite a little. Guys are jigging with Sonars at the spillway. There's folks in canoes limiting out on walleyes every night there. The spillway scene isn't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good ole boy said:
Maybe it ought to be your cup of Tea with the success they are havin.Just add a slice of lemon and honey in your Tea.
You taking writing lessons from Mustang?

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
good ole boy said:
Maybe it ought to be your cup of Tea with the success they are havin.Just add a slice of lemon and honey in your Tea.
It is an odd scene at the spillway. There are several folks that are there every day, don't know when they arrive, but they've always been there anytime I stop. The walleye are schooled up in the channel at the at the outflow. A link chain across the channel denotes the no fishing line. If you bring a boat through the rocks up to the chain, you're not allowed to anchor. ( so I'm told). Guys use auto pilot GPS trolling motors to hold to that spot. Two guys can fish the channel from each side, most have extra long surf rods to jig with. I've only seen Cicadas and Sonars used there. Jigging by working rod up and down, no need to cast. A lot of fish end up foul hooked.

I can catch plenty of walleye at Pymatuning fishing from the boat in the next few months. Even if you enjoyed this type of fishing, It's pretty hard to even get your line in the water. But to each, they're own. What ever floats your boat.

If I get up next week, I'll stopped and get a pic or two at the spillway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts