The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to spread fertilizer (46-0-0) on my food plots that are already established. The food plots are about 3-5 inches high, and I believe its time to put more fertilizer on it. How do I spread the fertilizer without crushing the plants? If I use my atv with the spreader, I will crush the established plants. If I use a hand spreader, when I walk on the food plot I will smash the plants. How do I spread this 46-0-0 fertilizer without damaging the plants?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Walk thru, won't be so big a deal. Be sure the leaves are dry when you spread that stuff and try to time it when rain is in the forecast.

The fertilizer will gain you more growth than what you "destroy" by walking thru.

If its a larger plot, use a push type broadcast spreader.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I planted 3+ acres of Shotplot, purple top turnips and oats last weekend and wanted to top dress it with 46-0-0 on Labor day weekend, I was planning on using my atv. spreader to save time. Do you guys think using my atv to spread the fertilizer will hurt my plot? Thanks,

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
If it it newly sprouted plants, taking the beating of ATV tires over it will not help. If it was an established plot, I'd not worry about it. I would have put the fertilizer in with the seed, but it's too late for that. Try using a push spreader to minimize the impact. Or if you must use the ATV, try to time it right before a rain so the plants you crush get a lot of water to repair themselves with...

·
Registered
574 Posts
CJB. thanks for the info!! The plants are currently 2-3 inches tall and I did put down fertilizer just after seeding the plot last saturday, I just wanted to give my brassicas a boost but wont have the time to use a hand spreader etc. because im currently in the process of planting 25 more acres between this weekend and labor day.
So if you guys think that my atv will do harm than good than I will just skip it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Again, the damage caused by the atv probably will be offset by the increase in production.

It is best to incorporate fertilizer in the soil at planting and then topdress once the crop is up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Dutch thanks for the info!! I spread 100lbs of fert. per acre (per the soil test results) when I planted, just want to add some N to give them a little boost.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I do the same, both brassicas and clover this time of year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts