The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? Does it work? Would it leave a scent on hunting clothes? I'm planning on spraying my work and hiking clothes, but I'm hesitant to spray my hunting clothes.

·
Super Moderator
13,631 Posts
Use it for spring gobbler and hiking, but not for archery....
Thought about spraying some next to a summer feeder that has been getting hit hard by bucks to see if there is any noticeable impact..

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I spray it on just about everything and haven't had a tick on me on years. I'm not that crazy about scent control... I'd rather be winded by a dozen deer a day than get Lymes.

There's a good sticky thread on this over in the turkey hunting forum, FYI.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Permethrin is actually an insecticide, meaning it doesn’t just repel bugs, it kills them. It’s a chemical made in laboratories that mimics a natural insecticide produced by chrysanthemum flowers called pyrethrum. Permethrin does not have an odor, so it doesn’t alert game animals to your presence. You can find large bottles at farm and ranch supply stores that are designed to apply to livestock or around houses and barns. This can be mixed per the directions and sprayed on your clothing, or at least one manufacturer creates spray bottles and aerosols designed specifically for human clothing. Permethrin binds to fabrics and can even last through several washings of your clothes. Some clothing manufacturers are even making clothes with permethrin built in, and it will last for the life of the clothing!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I use it on all clothing & outdoor gear . Only spray I have found that works excellent at keeping ticks off 100% of the time . I refuse to go into brush or the woods without spraying my clothes with it .

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I agree with the others. I treat all the clothes I wear hunting. Usually don't have any trouble filling tags. I even treat my hats, gloves, fishing vest, whatever I'm planning on wearing into the woods. Haven't had a tick since I started using it. It does have an odor when freshly sprayed, but seems to lose it once dry.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
All my hunting clothes including archery clothes get sprayed heavily with homemade permethrin spray at the beginning of each season.
Some stuff you buy smells like kerosene, and other stuff has floral notes to it. Bonide brand has a floral fragrance if you can find it. Either way, the smell is gone in about a week.
It is as close to 100% effective on ticks as you are going to get. I've been using it for years and I've seen zero difference in getting winded by deer.
Killed a 215lb 8pt two years ago at 12 steps or so with the bow. He didn't have a clue until he had an arrow in him.

·
Registered
455 Posts
All my hunting gear gets prayed every 6 weeks and have t had a problem with ticks or scent yet. I let it air dry and usually wash it before the first time I wear it.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Check to see if this is for use on clothing, as some types are not meant for skin contact. I use Duration I bought on amazon. This type is for use on clothing. I use other types of permethrin for other uses just not on my clothing. Many of the cheaper products are not for clothing. I do have friends that use them anyways.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Permethrin is probably the best outdoorsman's "gadget" invented. The way ticks are now days, Lyme disease is more of a 'when' not 'if'... unless you use permethrin. Lots of discussion as brands, dilutions, etc. but bottom line is spray in on your clothes, allow to dry and you are protected. I compare it hunting out of a tree stand- you should wear a fall restraint, its a safety issue.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have sprayed my hunting clothes down for several years. It definitely works. And the stuff I use does have a slight scent once it dries, but since the permethrin sticks to your clothing after several washes, I just wash my clothes as normal using the scent-free hunting detergent, and once they dry, there is zero scent.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Bought sawyers several years ago when ticks got bad around here. Then the stores couldn't keep it on the shelves so I bought permethrin at tractor supply and cut it with water in a spray bottle. Seems to work very well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts