The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our sprayers needs are 8 acres total of Ladino clover maybe twice a year. What type of economical sprayer should we look for to fit our needs.

What would be a reasonable budget.

Can sprayers be rented?

·
Registered
971 Posts
What really determined what kind of sprayer you need is how close is your water source to where you need to spray. Even the cheap 25 gal (or 15 gal) ATV sprayers with the 1.3 gal per minute pumps will spray an acre in about 8 to 10 minutes per tank. If you have water close you can refill quick and start spraying agsin. If its a long way then you need a bigger tank.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
What are you spraying with an ATV or a tractor?Last year I bought a fimco 50 gal 3 point hitch sprayer with a 10 ft boom.I paid $299 for it at tractor supply.They also have the same size pull behind model for about $500.Personally,I'd have at least a 10ft boom for doing 8 acres.

·
Super Moderator
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can use either a ATV or a tractor. Some are are remote, but I have a 300 gallon tank I can pull to two of the locations, but I can only pull about 100 gal due to the road conditions.

What spray do you use for new ground.....young clover...mature clover?

·
Registered
971 Posts
What are you spraying for? No real good weed control sprays for clover. A mower is 100 times better for a clover plot than a sprayer.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If you are planting clover, forget spraying. Mow it about 4 or 5 times during the summer, and your weeds will basically be non-existant. Just catch the weeds before the seed.

Also, you can spot spray them. Basically walk around your plot and hit the weeds with a backpack sprayer as you see them.

·
Super Moderator
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In one planting of clover very little almost none came up but a lot of weeds/thistles. In other plots mowing was worked very well over time.

What do you use to spread your clover seed?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have just a hand spreader, and I overseed it heavily.

One thing I did to establish was till, wait a few weeks for vegitation to grow, and then sprayed. Till again a week later, and planted. Mine turned out awesome.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I spray over 30 acres sometimes twice a year preping fall plots with a 15 gal boomless sprayer. I use 2 2.5 gal glyco's a year. You don't need a big sprayer to do big acreage. Just need clean water close.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
Born2Hunt said:
Can use either a ATV or a tractor. Some are are remote, but I have a 300 gallon tank I can pull to two of the locations, but I can only pull about 100 gal due to the road conditions.

What spray do you use for new ground.....young clover...mature clover?
I can barely grow grass so I've never attempted a foodplot.I use mine to spray my yard and horse pastures.Horses are similar to deer in that they eat the most prefered stuff first,allowing the invasive junk to take over.I spray them down twice a year and overseed them in the spring.

The sprayer I bought was one of the best investment for what it cost.It hooks up in a minute and I can do just about everything I need to do without refilling.When I'm done,it folds up out of the way for storage.

·
Super Moderator
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
archeryman32 said:
Also, I have the 15 gallon atv sprayer from tractor supply. Works very well for the price
How big of an area do you spray with the 15 gal?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I use the cheap stuff from tractor supply. I cant remember the exact name, but it works really well. I think I could get away with one tank, but I like to make sure I cover it good. I go slow, cover about half, refill, and do the rest. My friend borrowed it and he went over his 1 acre reclaimed farm field twice with one tank. It was all goldenrods, briars, etc. Went down a week later and it was all black.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The biggest problem I have found is make sure you use CLEAN water. They get plugged easy with creek water. They do have little mesh's and screens in them to keep crap from getting to the pump, but just a little dirt will clog the mesh.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That is correct on dirt A-man32 we actually stock pile water in plastic barrels on our property but we use a T shirt to strain the H20 before we pour into sprayer. We get the water from the local creek. Most of our plots are on top of a Gods Country mountain and of course creek is on the ...Bottom. as said b4 the sprayer is the single most important piece of equip for food plots we have. I bought a Northern tool 15 gal ..wish I wouldve got the 25 though. I may buy the 25 gal tank this year-those stupid ferns can take alot of roundup

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You're problem isn't the sprayer for ferns, it's the roundup. When you buy weed killer, check the % of gly in solution. Roundup tends to be very low, like 4-12% depending on how much you want to spend. There is a cheap tractor supply brand I get that is 41%. It's powerful stuff, and kills EVERYTHING in one spraying.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Your right this year Im going to try some stronger stuff..good call. I hate those good for nuthin ferns...Believe it or not gas companies on our property have put in some nice clover plots for us too...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts