The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did not get much time this weekend to tend to the plots, but did get two fall plot areas sprayed and a perennial plot of chicory and clover fertilized.

All loaded up for the long mile climb back to the “camp plot”.

How the camp plot looked. A second year plot and truthfully year 1 was a bit of a failure due to a very dry August at 1850 feet in altitude on a downward slope….hoping this year the winter wheat /brassica mix from Hilltop seeds takes hold and gets rain in 2009.

Second stop was the “Ridgeline plot”…one of my favorites. Just a long logtrail that runs the the rim of the ridge (only aa section of it here). Right now I just plant the log trail itself, but the second pic is an area at the end of the log trail I keep thinking I should add to it…would give it a golf club like look in shape. Love the view from there, good slow day treestand scenery.

Spraying done I moved onto the fertilizing….I actually spread some 6-24-24 on all my small clover plots today but only pulled the camera out at the pasture plot, when I got a reminder that this ain’t all about deer.

The pasture plot as of today, clover and chicory…might get mowed once more this year…about it.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Looks good RB....

That 4 wheeler comes in handy, eh?

·
Registered
733 Posts
That little guy in the last pic looks familiar. Looks like the hill is being well taken care of. I hope you were spared the bad weather from Saturday.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah he must be becoming a resident there...Hopefully the protein will help him kick the butt of the stray cat hanging around...also Wed night saw a grey fox in the pines up there, he either had a small bunny or a small grouse in his mouth , think I saw feathers...
,BIG fox.

BTW, as you can see I got that firewood stacked...
, took the other half of the pile home for that campfire ring there.

Pep...that ATV is my best friend when it comes to work, tractor, log skidder, trail grader, deer dragger, snow plow at home 3 years it has 400+ miles on it, 95% TOUGH miles...definately not a rec bike, but we did go mudding once.

Just put a winch on the front of my son's 250 (Nuge's old bike)...another workhorse that is proving to be. My boy like to use them that way too, although he likes opening it up now and then.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
40 oz of 50% gly concentrate, with about 14 gallon of water...had enough to do both areas shown and spray about 4 mulitflora rose bushes on the way down the hill. I only had these areas to spray so i emptied the tank on them.

Have about .75 gallon left which would not pump out of the corners of my ATV sprayer, so i dumped it in my hand sprayer and plan to hike and spray the other rose bushes and other pests i come across.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No this was just general weed kill...I was not sparying my clover or anything.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I treat multiflora like i do grapevines...if they are where i want them for the critters they stay, if not, they die.

I refuse to let them get too strong a hold in my timber cutiing areas on the hill (cause they will). But I will not bother them in my sancutary area, that is where the grapevines roam free as well....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey Rooster I like your counter-weight! I don't know why I haven't though of weighting the front end of my ATV when I'm spraying, but that picture will make the job a lot safer for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't even think about that, but come to think of it , it did climb the hill better....glad it helped ya stay safer, you must have some climbing to do too...

Nice thing about that counter weight, once you empty the sprayer, spread the fertlizer and all the extra weight is gone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts