The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going West for elk hunt in November. My old Simmons spotter isnt going. Need recomendations on spotting scopes.Cant afford Zeiss Swarvorski and other high end spotting scopes. Any input greatly appreciated. :turkey_track:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have a pair of 10X50 Fujinon binoculars that have a built in compass that you see when you look through them. I bought them when I kept boats on the Chesapeake bay. They are the clearest binocs I have ever looked through. They are heavy but they would do the job for you on an elk hunt, a front carry binoc harness would help with the weight o large binocs

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
They say Vortex makes a real good spotter for the money with a lifetime guarantee. In my opinion real good binos are what you want as you will be looking through them a lot more than a spotting scope. A spotting scope is used after you locate game and to determine if the animal is worth going after. Your eyes will go batty if you have cheap binos and looking through them all day.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Going West for elk hunt in November. My old Simmons spotter isnt going. Need recomendations on spotting scopes.Cant afford Zeiss Swarvorski and other high end spotting scopes. Any input greatly appreciated. :turkey_track:
I have a Zeiss 85mm sporting scope. It is not my choice looking for game. I suggest you buy the best binoculars you can afford of 10x and large objective lens that can be paired up with a good, sturdy Tripod. Much easier spotting for hours using both eyes.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a pair of Canon 10x30 image stabilizer bino's. I highly recommend going to an optics store and compare them to any bino they have. If you'reglassing without the aid of a tripod they are superior to anything else available

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
jeffppc said all that needs to be said. Vortex 10x50 Diamondback good tripod and my spotter stays home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts