The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a spotting light be too bright?
I'm considering a Streamlight 44900 Waypoint spot light. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm real disappointed in the quality of spotting lights these days. I've gone through two in the past five years (both Brinkman). A previous spotlight lasted a good 30 years. Not as bright obviously, but it worked.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
if you can find someplace that sells airplane landing lights that are 12 volt, these make excellent spot lights. mount the light in a cooking pot and put a cigarette lighter plug on the wire cable and your are ready to go. most of these lights are 1,000,000 watts.very bright.

·
Registered
856 Posts
if you can find someplace that sells airplane landing lights that are 12 volt, these make excellent spot lights. mount the light in a cooking pot and put a cigarette lighter plug on the wire cable and your are ready to go. most of these lights are 1,000,000 watts.very bright.
My grandfather had one of those for on the boat, it worked for decades until Hurricane Sandy finally killed it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We use the Waypoint for Fox hunting. (Not the recharagable one, I never trust their batteries) You could definitely use it to spot. Still, nothing beats the old school spot lights that plug into your vehicle though.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm real disappointed in the quality of spotting lights these days. I've gone through two in the past five years (both Brinkman).
Have you tried installing a new bulb? While I'm not a fan of the Brinkman I have, the only things that can fail on them can be fixed with some solder or a new bulb.

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
The old QBeams were good lights, still have one I let at camp that's at least 30 years old and works fine, but it's only 300,000 CP. We had them up to 3 million CP some years ago. Only Brinkman I've ever had, lasted about three years.

Right now I have a rechargeable I keep in the truck. Walmart had pre-school sized back packs for $3, made a perfect case to keep it in. Can charge on house current, or a 12V power outlet. Charges lasts a long time, has two brightness settings. It's as bright as the 12V plug in I got last year, which is a 3 million CP light.

Don't spot that much these days, but now and then a trip around camp country at night is still fun and enlightening. Do most of my "spotting" now when at camp, around dusk, see plenty of deer out feeding before dark.

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
The 1,000,000 power ones always ran my battery down in my old truck lol

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
Back in the late 90s my huntin' bud got a new truck that had dual 12V outlets in the dash. We'd poke a million CP light out each side when we drove around at camp spotting. Easier than passing a light back and forth as we drove about our favorite spots.

Three times in different areas, we pulled up behind the same truck that had been shining a feeble light, probably an old sealed beam like we had in the good old days? That thing barely reached out a hundred feet. When he started to drive off we'd light up that field, there'd be deer his light hadn't reached and he'd hit the brakes to take a look.

Later he pulled up alongside on another road, turned out to be a local relative who'd also gotten a new truck. Said he should've figured out who we were with them big, fancy lights.

0:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts