The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw my first ones today in unit 2c Westmoreland County. My son and I were trimming out a couple stands, replacing the straps and setting up some cameras. We killed a bunch of them. They were even landing on us. I thought they were grasshoppers at first but they were lantern flies.

·
Super Moderator
8,552 Posts
Annoying buggers. Here in 5C we've had 'em a while. I have some good stands that are nearly intolerable until frost comes to kill those jerks off. One is sticky like it's covered in maple syrup because of them.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Saw my first ones today in unit 2c Westmoreland County. My son and I were trimming out a couple stands, replacing the straps and setting up some cameras. We killed a bunch of them. They were even landing on us. I thought they were grasshoppers at first but they were lantern flies.
Where are you located? Northcentral PA, right? That's not good seeing that many up there already. You don't want them.

·
Super Moderator
8,552 Posts
For those new to them, these things are an annoyance (at best) until the first substantial frost. Then you'll see the carcasses still clinging to trees for a while, but they'll be dead. They don't survive a true frost. If you get a light frost where it's just spotty frost here and there, it might slow them down a little.....but it takes a good frost to finally put them out of action for the season.

So....get used to them until things freeze.

·
Registered
15,170 Posts
Inundated with them here in Dauphin. What I haven't seen this year, and last year come to think of it, is more than one or two stink bugs. For a few years we were inundated with those too.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Here in Lancaster County I don't see near as many as I did 2-3 years ago. It seems as they spread out to new areas they kind of thin out a bit where they had already been. Maybe I am alone in that observation.
I’ve noticed the same thing. 2020 was the last year I remember seeing them plentiful in Bucks.

It’s interesting it seems that western pa is getting their first bad wave this year. Hopefully it follows the same pattern there too.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
A few here in Montco, no where near as bad as last few years. Frost will kill adults but not egg sacs. Only scraping them off bark to ground will kill them. Mission Impossible. Solution will be to import some species that kills/ eats them and they become pest. Viscous cycle.
Did see a video on easy trapping them but labor intensive. Just use empty soda bottle and place spout right next to bug, they hop right in. Guy filled one in a few minutes from a tree infested with them.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts