The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
THINBLUELINE said:
Is it legal to spot light out side of a vehicle? Say with a re-chargeable spot light while on foot.
Why? Your allowed to hunt at night with a re-chargable spot lite. You wouldnt be able to cover much ground on foot and with a charge of about an hour for the light,just not worth it to me. LOL

How about this question. Is a person that has a handi cap permit to shoot out of his vehicle allowed to spotlight coyotes and foxes from his vehicle at night and shoot them from the vehicle also. Now that is a better question.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Subchapter D. DISABLED PERSONS

Sec.

147.61. Permits for certain disabled persons to use a vehicle.
§ 147.61. Permits for certain disabled persons to use a vehicle.
When exercising the privileges granted by a permit issued under authority of section 2923(a) of the act (relating to disabled person permits), it is unlawful to fail or neglect to comply with the following:

(1) If the firearm is loaded, the vehicle shall be off the right-of-way of a public highway and shall be at a complete stop with the motor turned off.

(2) No more than one firearm may be loaded in either chamber or magazine at one time.

(3) Only the permittee may discharge the firearm.

(4) Other provisions of the act and this part, including license requirements, that apply to hunting in general apply to hunting under this permit.

(5) This permit is subject to Federal regulations which prohibit taking migratory game birds—waterfowl, woodcock, snipe, rails, doves and gallinules—from or by use of a sinkbox, motor-driven conveyance, motor vehicle or aircraft.

(6) This permit does not authorize possession of a pistol or revolver contrary to 18 Pa.C.S. § § 101—9183 (relating to the Crimes Code).

(7) This permit is valid to hunt only during established hunting hours.

Source

The provisions of this § 147.61 adopted June 19, 1987, effective July 1, 1987, 17 Pa.B. 2464.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter147/subchapDtoc.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
Still doesn't say if it is illegal for them to spot light with a firarm. They are allowed to road hunt as long as the firearm is not loaded. I guess it is legal for them to spot light with a weapon and to shoot a predator while spot lighting as long as they obey by.

(1) If the firearm is loaded, the vehicle shall be off the right-of-way of a public highway and shall be at a complete stop with the motor turned off.

·
Super Moderator
14,702 Posts
speedstick said:
Still doesn't say if it is illegal for them to spot light with a firarm. They are allowed to road hunt as long as the firearm is not loaded. I guess it is legal for them to spot light with a weapon and to shoot a predator while spot lighting as long as they obey by.

No they are not permitted to road hunt, no one is by law as specified in Section 2308(a)(7).

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.

Disabled permit holders are only exempted from this law to the point specified in Section 147.61 of the regulations, as already posted.

If a disabled hunter is driving along a roadway and sights game they need to just forget they even saw it and continue on to where they are going to park their vehicle and wait for game to arrive. Or, they can park, go twenty-five yards off of the roadway, like everyone else, and then attempt to take that game. But, since their permit application pretty much said they couldn’t walk that far they could very well be jeopardizing their privilege to retain their permit. If they can walk off of the roadway that far to hunt they don’t need and perhaps don’t qualify for the permit.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
speedstick said:
THINBLUELINE said:
Is it legal to spot light out side of a vehicle? Say with a re-chargeable spot light while on foot.
Why? Your allowed to hunt at night with a re-chargable spot lite. You wouldnt be able to cover much ground on foot and with a charge of about an hour for the light,just not worth it to me. LOL

How about this question. Is a person that has a handi cap permit to shoot out of his vehicle allowed to spotlight coyotes and foxes from his vehicle at night and shoot them from the vehicle also. Now that is a better question.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, you can hunt coyotes and foxes at night during the regular rifle season, but you can't spot light during regular rifle season. So that being the case, the PGC has made an obvious distinction between the two. So my orignal question has not been answered.

·
Registered
95 Posts
R. S. B. said:
speedstick said:

No they are not permitted to road hunt, no one is by law as specified in Section 2308(a)(7).

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.

Disabled permit holders are only exempted from this law to the point specified in Section 147.61 of the regulations, as already posted.

If a disabled hunter is driving along a roadway and sights game they need to just forget they even saw it and continue on to where they are going to park their vehicle and wait for game to arrive. Or, they can park, go twenty-five yards off of the roadway, like everyone else, and then attempt to take that game. But, since their permit application pretty much said they couldn’t walk that far they could very well be jeopardizing their privilege to retain their permit. If they can walk off of the roadway that far to hunt they don’t need and perhaps don’t qualify for the permit.

Dick Bodenhorn
Curious RSB or any othe WCO on here. How many handi capped permit holders have you caught road hunting? How do you determine if they are road hunting? Someone could drive down the road,A WCO could be behind them if you want. They see deer and pull over. Place gun out window and blast the deer. Now all they have to say is this is my stand where I was planning to hunt at. Come on now. You know this happens. Do you think anyone at all obeys that one? Especially the ones that holds the handi capped permits.
I think that was one of the biggest mistakes ever made to grant permits like that to hunt and travel on closed roads with motorized vehicles and to shoot from vehicles to handi capped people. That is being taken advantaged of big time. I could go and say hey doc,I have leg pains if I walk more than 300 yrds can you fill out this report for me. I now have a permit to travel on roads permited for handi capped with ATVs. That is total BS. I think each person should be evaluated by a WCO before a permit is handed out. Some do deserve a permit while 90% are just to [censored] lazy to walk 200 yrds into the woods.

·
Registered
736 Posts
speedstick said:
R. S. B. said:
speedstick said:

Dick Bodenhorn
Curious RSB or any othe WCO on here. How many handi capped permit holders have you caught road hunting? How do you determine if they are road hunting? Someone could drive down the road,A WCO could be behind them if you want. They see deer and pull over. Place gun out window and blast the deer. Now all they have to say is this is my stand where I was planning to hunt at. Come on now. You know this happens. Do you think anyone at all obeys that one? Especially the ones that holds the handi capped permits.
I think that was one of the biggest mistakes ever made to grant permits like that to hunt and travel on closed roads with motorized vehicles and to shoot from vehicles to handi capped people. That is being taken advantaged of big time. I could go and say hey doc,I have leg pains if I walk more than 300 yrds can you fill out this report for me. I now have a permit to travel on roads permited for handi capped with ATVs. That is total BS. I think each person should be evaluated by a WCO before a permit is handed out. Some do deserve a permit while 90% are just to [censored] lazy to walk 200 yrds into the woods.
You want to have each applicant evaulated by a WCO?Of all the training the receive.I dont think a medical degree is part of it.Some cases is obvious but there are some conditions that are not visable.thats why the pgc trust that when a applicant has the forms signed by the dr that it is a legit condition.But I do agree that people abuse the system.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[u]Still waiting for an answer to my orignal question. [/u]
Maybe the moderator should move this to a differnt thread now that it's been derailed to a totally unrealted subject. Especialy since it was a moderator who helped start the derailment. Thanks.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is legal to use a light normally held in the hand and a light attached to a gun to hunt furbearers at night. Below is the exception to the prohibition of using a light:

(1) (i) A person on foot who uses a flashlight or spotlight held in the hand, worn on the head or mounted on a firearm to take furbearers, if the sole source of power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.

(ii) For the purposes of this paragraph, a flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall not include a device that projects a beam of laser light to indicate the intended point of impact for one or more projectiles discharged from the firearm.
to hunt:

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I think Pa. actually evaluate them. Im from Md. had my knee operated on say 6 years ago 1 month prior to hunting season. Doctor signed off and i have a life time handi cap permit, that entitles me to : cross bow, hunting out of vechicle, ( motor has to be stopped ) and special parking on state grounds. For life mind you! I called at Pa. about this and they told me it has to be more serious than what i had and they are very tough on handicap permits. I know i would not qualify so i think at least a few years ago they just didnt hand them out to some one like my self with a minor knee surgery.

·
Registered
356 Posts
THINBLUELINE said:
[u]Still waiting for an answer to my orignal question. [/u]
Maybe the moderator should move this to a differnt thread now that it's been derailed to a totally unrealted subject. Especialy since it was a moderator who helped start the derailment. Thanks.
To answer your question, NO they can not spotlight while in possession of a firearm. They would have to go to a hunting area and sit and wait or call like any other predator hunter and could only use a light like anyone else could use, i.e. something normally carried on the person.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Dogtrnr said:
To answer your question, NO they can not spotlight while in possession of a firearm. They would have to go to a hunting area and sit and wait or call like any other predator hunter and could only use a light like anyone else could use, i.e. something normally carried on the person.
Care to Refraze what you said?

Spotlighting Wildlife: It is unlawful to 1) spotlight wildlife while in
possession of a firearm, except by individuals who have a License
to Carry Firearms permit, and only with firearms authorized by the
permit (most sporting arms are not authorized),
bow and arrow, or
other device capable of killing wildlife; 2) spotlight wildlife during
the regularly scheduled statewide antlered and antlerless deer seasons
(Nov. 30-Dec. 12), including those days separating the seasons
and including the late firearms deer seasons in WMUs 2B,
5C & 5D; and 3) cast an artificial light upon any building, farm
animal or photoelectric cell. Recreational spotlighting is lawful between
sunrise and 11 p.m., except as previously noted. Spotlighting
includes handheld lights, accessory spotlights on vehicles and
vehicle headlights when intentionally used to locate or view wildlife.
A person hunting raccoons, skunks, opossums, bobcats, weasels,
foxes and coyotes on foot may use a handheld light, including
a gun-mounted light. Furbearer hunters still may not use a flashlight
or spotlight that projects a laser light beam, though.
Cultivated lands: It is unlawful to 1) hunt in unharvested buckwheat,
corn, sorghum or soybean fields without permission from
the owner or caretaker; 2) operate a motor vehicle on any cleared
field or private property without the landowner’s permission; 3)
block lanes to cultivated fields, mail boxes or private property; 4)
leave gates open; 5) damage real or personal property; 6) break
down or damage fences, or 7) harass, injure or kill livestock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.