The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
I am also happy the merger fell through. Like many have said BP ruined Cabelas. Cabelas was always a tad bit high, but when I factored in having to pay shipping or excessive driving to get it cheaper it all equaled out, but now not only have they increased prices even more, but they also don鈥檛 carry nearly as much. Sportsman Warehouse鈥檚 inventory at least in Washington has also gone way down hill, and I also caught them participating in the ammo gouging around March-April 2021. Darn near $50 for 50 rounds of Winchester Target 230 gr. FMJ 45ACP!! Since then they greatly reduced the price, but still not what it used to be. And I for one refuse to pay much more for ammo than what it was going for in February of 2020. Thankfully I always keep a few extra rounds laying around. Sorry for the rant.

Registered
I too found Cabela's to be way overpriced. I haven't purchased anything from them in years. When I did it was using gift cards and the perks obtained from a Cabela's Visa card. The Visa card was dropped when they were bought out by Bass Pro.

Registered
We have a Sportsmen Warehouse in Blair County. Just another overpriced big retailer.I have yet to see a bargin Stopped in and walked around 2 weeks ago. 10 to 15 percent high on the items I would have interest in. They dazzle you with a large quantity of items but no good prices.

Registered
Just another overpriced big retailer.I have yet to see a bargin Stopped in and walked around 2 weeks ago. 10 to 15 percent high on the items I would have interest in. They dazzle you with a large quantity of items but no good prices.
In that way they are like Cabela's. I paid retail plus for a few items from them and I got a few things on sale that were priced right.

As for markup its hard to tell today because of inflation and availability. Even Walmart has increased the price of their ammo substantially and I do not think they are gouging but passing on their increased costs.

Registered
With runaway inflation and supply chain issues the prices we are seeing now are the new prices. It sucks but that's all there is to it. I'm also glad the merger didn't go through it does help to have some competition around. I have a SW 30 minutes away and a Cabela's 40 minutes away. I shop at both pretty much equally. I just don't see the huge downfall of Cabela's that everyone talks about. Except for clothing I liked the Cabela's stuff and imo the Redhead gear is garbage.

Registered
Just an FYI: I went into Dunham's Sports in Buckhorn yesterday. They had some ammo and guns but way less than usual. I didn't check prices except for 17HMR which was $17.98 for 50 which seems to be the current going price.

The fishing inventory seemed to be about 40 or 50% of normal based on what was displayed. They did have a decent selection of Rapala and rubber.

Lets hope "supply chain issues" start clearing up soon.

Reactions: ruger300 and .257

Registered
With runaway inflation and supply chain issues the prices we are seeing now are the new prices. It sucks but that's all there is to it. I'm also glad the merger didn't go through it does help to have some competition around. I have a SW 30 minutes away and a Cabela's 40 minutes away. I shop at both pretty much equally. I just don't see the huge downfall of Cabela's that everyone talks about. Except for clothing I liked the Cabela's stuff and imo the Redhead gear is garbage.
The Cabela's in Hamburg also had a really good fishing department. BP brought it down to their level.

Registered
Cabelas in Wheeling has the best selection. The Morgantown store has alot less product. As far as price goes they will price match just about anything at least the times I tried. I also got an extra 5% off. I am not sure if that is for Cabelas Club holder cards only or not.

From Cabelas:

For our valued CLUB Members, we won't just match that price, we will beat it by 5%!

Registered
I think every store is probably different the fishing dept. in Wheeling actually got bigger when BP took over.

Probably. Comparing the Hamburg Cabela's pre-BP with the BP in Harrisburg was very much apples and oranges. Cabelas had a great department. Still is better than the Harrisburg BP but not like it was.

Registered
Cabelas in Wheeling has the best selection. The Morgantown store has alot less product. As far as price goes they will price match just about anything at least the times I tried. I also got an extra 5% off. I am not sure if that is for Cabelas Club holder cards only or not.

From Cabelas:

For our valued CLUB Members, we won't just match that price, we will beat it by 5%!
I hate the price match guarantee. It is the same as the mail-in rebate. They know most people won't do it and so they price gouge. Just sell the merchandise at a competitive price and don't put the onus on the customer.

Reactions: octagon

Registered
I ordered from the sportsmans warehouse. I provided my friend's shipping address. My order has been cancelled. When I called their customer service, they told me that I can no longer order online. Their manager said that I would have to go to the nearest store myself and buy goods there. Anyone had the same problem?

Administrator
I've ordered from SW a couple of times but not in a few years. Glad to hear the merger didn't go through.
I used to like Cabela's, especially because of their history and how as a youth getting excited when their catalogs came, before they had any retail shops except the flagship store in Nebraska.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts