The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna head to Elstonville Sportsmen Club for a couple rounds of Sporting Clays this Sunday. I'm shooting my SBE with factory choke tubes.
Can you recommend which choke would be best for sporting clays??
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
If you are relatively new at this fantastic activity I would start with an open choke and select a small shot (#8 or 9). This will give you a larger pattern with density of shot too. But at longer ranges - the small shot may have lost too much kinetic energy to break the target. It's one of the things that makes sporting clays such a hoot.
Long time ago I was shooting trap 3 nights a week and had worked up to a full choke - really hammered them birds. The I stopped for about a year and now I can hit anything with cylinder choke. Lost the touch I guess.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks men, I would have been way wrong on which tube to use.
I'm gonna try your advice and use my IC tube.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
IC is a good choke to start with. Do not be changing chokes when targets look "different". Keep 1 choke in your SBE and stick with it. Learn to shoot with one choke and the rest is easy. I'd also recommend taking 8's and 7 1/2s with you. I use 8s on any target inside 40 yards showing belly or dome and 7 1/2s on targets showing edge. That shoulder is the toughest part of the target. Don't overthink the game and have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts