The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the 3rd split season in my area 4C/3D I think. Those that have had it longer, are you seeing more deer?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't think it much matters. It seems like hardly anyone hunts first day but come that first Saturday when doe comes in the woods are packed. If anything I would think it would hurt harvest has for get an early education and can find hiding spots before they can get hunted. Not much different though then when we had 3 day doe after buck season

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I'm not sure the intent of the split season is for more deer. When they listed those doe allocation worksheets, they had recommended allocations for the 2 week concurrent and for the split/concurrent seasons. The desired harvest was the same but it was only the allocation that differs for the season. My unit has been on the split season since it's inception. We are seeing more deer, but it's because the BOC has been lowering the license allocation these past couple years, not because of the split season. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hate the split season. It completely goes against antler restrictions... Bar room deer management at its best...

I see no more or less does but I do see less bucks...

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Personal observation: There were more guys hunting the area I do this year than anytime in the last twenty, so even tho it's bucks only (2C), and antler restrictions, that didn't stop the hunters from coming out.

Personal preference: I would rather the seasons be concurrent and , if too many does are getting killed, lower the license allocation. I think that is more convenient for hunters.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I DMAP'd our property because of split seasons. I'm in southern 2F farm country...a far cry from the big woods of 2F to the north. I have plenty of deer and limiting my opportunities to thin the herd was less than appealing.

My 9yo missed a doe yesterday. we saw 18 deer. We didn't see, but heard, many more the first couple hours in the heavy frosted and loud brush. I filled my second and last DMAP tag around 3:30...5 minutes after he headed back to camp. He's welcome to fill my 2F tag on Saturday.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Im in 4A for our camp and i hate the split season, we see tons and tons of does, but no legal buck, i think they should go two up for buck, one buck and one doe tag a year, except in special regs areas. I think they should impose more strict antler restrictions in those areas just because of the quality of deer that are in those areas. Locals are another problem they just kill what ever they want, then complain about the game commission.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I actually wrote on my calendar after last year that I should not take vacation on the 1st day this year. My reasoning was that I usually don't see a legal buck and cannot take a doe so wait for Saturday. I took vacation anyway and hunted. Not much shooting but it was nice to be out with the deer still acting normal at the end of rut instead of being pushed around by other hunters. And I took a nice 6pt that came across the field to fight the 4pt that had been feeding in front of my stand for an hour.

That said, I think we'll do DMAP on the property next year. I don't get many days to hunt so the option to take a doe when I can would be welcome.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i live out of state so don't get to hunt doe in 4d since I can only stay down for the first day and maybe a few hours on tuesday.

I'm only 28 so only got to tag along when it was 2 weeks of buck and 3 days of doe, but think that the current split season is a nice compromise.

not a lot of shooting where I was the first morning but it was nice being in the woods, saw a few bucks one may have been legal but metal on the sling smacked the gun stock when I grabbed my rifle from beside me so he was alert and I couldn't get the binos on him to count. had one group of 5 doe come within 30 yards of me 3 different times.

so although I don't get to hunt doe, I like the extended season. gives my dad more incentive to go out with the camp and spend more time in the woods. I also like that bear season runs with some of deer season in some units, dad & the guys at camp have hunted some different areas than they normally would because of that opportunity.

so in the end: inconvenient, but a lot more convenient than it used to be and gives more incentives to hunt a bit more/different

·
Registered
149 Posts
i live out of state so don't get to hunt doe in 4d since I can only stay down for the first day and maybe a few hours on tuesday.

I'm only 28 so only got to tag along when it was 2 weeks of buck and 3 days of doe, but think that the current split season is a nice compromise.

not a lot of shooting where I was the first morning but it was nice being in the woods, saw a few bucks one may have been legal but metal on the sling smacked the gun stock when I grabbed my rifle from beside me so he was alert and I couldn't get the binos on him to count. had one group of 5 doe come within 30 yards of me 3 different times.

so although I don't get to hunt doe, I like the extended season. gives my dad more incentive to go out with the camp and spend more time in the woods. I also like that bear season runs with some of deer season in some units, dad & the guys at camp have hunted some different areas than they normally would because of that opportunity.

so in the end: inconvenient, but a lot more convenient than it used to be and gives more incentives to hunt a bit more/different

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see the correlation between seeing more does and less legal bucks? Personally, I haven't seen a legal buck since 2009, seen only spikes and fork horns. And overall, I'm seeing less deer in my hunting areas in 3D and 4C so I'm hoping it would increase the herd. And I agree that the 1st Saturday is overtaking the 1st Monday as the day to be in the woods.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I hunt 5B and 2F.

5B is still concurrent and where I am able to hunt on public land, the deer population is poor and makes me wish they would reduce the number of doe tags for the unit.

I hunt the big woods section of 2F and since they split the seasons we may be seeing few more deer but not a significant increase. I do believe when they split the season they increased doe tag allocations 20% to yield a similar harvest number as with concurrent seasons. I wasn't able to get to 2F this year for the opener buy my dad says hunter numbers are way down. Only a few cars in the parking areas and come Saturday there wont be a major influx of hunters. Last year we hunted first Saturday - Tuesday and we probably saw a handful of hunters driving in the truck or in the woods. Its really not what it used to be lots of empty parking areas, empty camps, and bare meat poles.

As someone said prior I would rather the PGC manage the harvest by lowering tag allocations than changing the seasons. For awhile when I lived out of state I couldn't get a doe tag for 2F on the first NR draw. Now I think everyone gets a tag that wants one on the first draw resident or NR.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I hunt 5B and 2F.

5B is still concurrent and where I am able to hunt on public land, the deer population is poor and makes me wish they would reduce the number of doe tags for the unit.

I hunt the big woods section of 2F and since they split the seasons we may be seeing few more deer but not a significant increase. I do believe when they split the season they increased doe tag allocations 20% to yield a similar harvest number as with concurrent seasons. I wasn't able to get to 2F this year for the opener buy my dad says hunter numbers are way down. Only a few cars in the parking areas and come Saturday there wont be a major influx of hunters. Last year we hunted first Saturday - Tuesday and we probably saw a handful of hunters driving in the truck or in the woods. Its really not what it used to be lots of empty parking areas, empty camps, and bare meat poles.

As someone said prior I would rather the PGC manage the harvest by lowering tag allocations than changing the seasons. For awhile when I lived out of state I couldn't get a doe tag for 2F on the first NR draw. Now I think everyone gets a tag that wants one on the first draw resident or NR.
Still very hard for non-res to get a 2F tag....there's usually only a handful left, if any, when they can apply. That's another reason I DMAP'd....My best friend moved to Ohio 15 years ago and I can guarantee him a tag for our property.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'd like to see doe season open on the first day. it would tempt more people to shoot does and save more bucks. then have it open again for the final week.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Still very hard for non-res to get a 2F tag....there's usually only a handful left, if any, when they can apply. That's another reason I DMAP'd....My best friend moved to Ohio 15 years ago and I can guarantee him a tag for our property.

At least there is a shot now even if it is only a handful. When I lived in Ohio there wasnt even a chance at getting a doe tag. I moved back to PA so its not much of a concern now. But at the time it really was a bummer because I hunted at camp in PA more than I hunted Ohio. Thats getting a bit off topic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts