The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to ask about a load is it too hot??
I have a few reloading manuals but they date back to the 70's
My load
IMR 4064
hornady 100 BTSP
coal 2.710
My action will close on 2.754 with this bullet .I would say the C.O.A.L. should be o.k. even though I am at near max: powder charge
I think the split case was due one to many reloads on one case.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I don't have a reloading manual right handy but that does not sound like a hot load off the top of my head. However, take a look at the case head and check for primer pocket expansion, and a flattened case head. Also, did you notice any dificaulty in the extraction and exection of the empty?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Book lists 34.2 gr as max. Plus if you are running it into the lands you may be way over.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You are pretty close to max load. But that is with today's more anemic loading, and "lawyer loads".

So the questions would be how many loads in the case, and where did it split?? Did you look at the primers?? How hot was it outside when you shot the round?? And were the cartridges laying in the sun?? Tom.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have older reloading books and they seem to run about 2 grains more then to days books.I will reduce the charge:
primers were perfect,the case split about 1/2" from the base
the bullet was dead on target.I think 15 reloads was pushing it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Normally a case split at the base is because of a sizing issue, or as you said you have have just sized it too many times. Normally it is a sign of oversizing with a FL sizer. But 15 firings is pretty good. Check the primers on your other shells that did not split. If there is no primer problems showing then you probably do not have pressure problems.

I was checking a 1979 Hornady manual the other day. And their max. load was 11.0 grains higher than the current Hodgdon max load on a 264 Win. mag. with a 140 grain bulet and H4831. I could not believe the difference. It makes you wonder sometimes?? Tom.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That's about max, Hodgdon.com lists IMR 4064 with 36.5 as Max with 51,100 cup pressure.
If it's over worked brass FL reloaded many times it will split. You might try annealing if it's worth it, may be time for new brass.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
If the load has been working fine all this time to me I would just get new brass, I don't like to load my 243 more than about 6 times. Actually they normally don't get that many because they get lost. Most times I'm lucky to get 3 loadings before they fall victim to the leaf monster that eats them.

If you have been using them without issue, and there are no pressure signs I would rest assured it's just the brass being worked too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts