The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Martin bow in 09'. 2010 my top limb cracked pretty good while shooting. Had the limbs replaced which was covered under the lifetime warranty. Last year, the bottom limb splintered on the edge, pretty small splinter and the bow shop wasn't too concerned with it and they suggested just to put a small touch of epoxy glue which I did and it was fine. Then just recently I got new strings on it, picked the bow up yesterday. I pulled it back twice to see how the peep sight aligned and I hear "crack". The top limb splintered on the edge about 2" long. Very frustrated. Now I have a small splinter in the bottom limb which I repaired, now the top splintered. Why is this happening?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Sounds like a manufacturing issue with the way the made the limbs. They splinter on the edge sometimes if they hit something. Lowering bows down to the ground from the stand or just an accidental hit will have them doing this. But, in your case i believe its the limb itself.

My two hoyts had edge splinters that was fixed with a little epoxy. Last year the bottom one cracked and was replaced. The new limbs were completely wrapped in camo as compared to the old limbs which only had the top and bottom surfaces wrapped with the edges exposed.

If i was in your situation, i'd beheading back to the shop and having them contact the manufacturer. Then i would start saving for a new bow.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I went today and he called them and they said they don't carry those limbs anymore and best they can do is offer me a discount price on one of the cheapest bows they have. Lifetime warranty they claim but I can't even get parts for it? I shouldn't be paying for anything IMO. I'm not too happy right now.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
BuckFever1013 said:
Yea I went today and he called them and they said they don't carry those limbs anymore and best they can do is offer me a discount price on one of the cheapest bows they have. Lifetime warranty they claim but I can't even get parts for it? I shouldn't be paying for anything IMO. I'm not too happy right now.
Wow, not the answer i would want either. Technically, and i guess it depends how they wrote their lifetime warranty language, but they could be in violation of it. If it states will replace, of equal or greater value, then i would say they need to be stepping up and not down. If that is all they are going to do, well i think i would be telling them that this issue is about to pop up on every social media site i can get on and it would be the last bow i buy from them.

There is a bright side i guess, time for a new bow!

·
Registered
32 Posts
two or three years ago.. Martin archery was Sold..plus they have a fire that burn down the plant..If you have older Martin bow you are out of luck!! No warranty..Sorry to say..It's time for a new one..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to hem yesterday and they said my bow only had a 5 year warranty, most of the other bows they offer are a 10 year limited lifetime. 5 years only!? Anyway, I am shopping for a new bow and it won't be a Martin. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I like my Hoyts, but thats me. My last two Hoyts i used for almost ten years each and only retired because they were finally starting to show the wear and tear. Warranty on Hoyts are for the life if the original owner. They are not cheap, but i keep them a long time and shoot quite a bit, so the cost to me is justified.

That being said, you need to determine your budget and go shoot a whole bunch of bows to find the one that feels right for you. I suggest you go to a shop that carries a couple brnads so you can shoot them during the same visit. Real hard to remember how a bow felt at a different shop a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Buckfever1013, I now where you are coming from. Last year i had a bad bad experience with PSE. Don't go there. I will never buy another PSE product.

Every few years i always traded in the bow on the newest edition. Go buy a new bow you would like and few years down the road trade it in on a newer bow. Good luck...

·
Registered
561 Posts
BuckFever1013 said:
I talked to them yesterday and they said my bow only had a 5 year warranty, most of the other bows they offer are a 10 year limited lifetime. 5 years only!? Anyway, I am shopping for a new bow and it won't be a Martin. Any suggestions?
Over the years I have shot Bear (18 years), Hoyt (10 years), and Bowtech (5 years). With the Bowtech I had a nock explode upon firing which bent the cam (one cam, one wheel bow) and when I called Bowtech they said they no longer carried parts to fix it. I was very surprised about that but it seems like all the manufacturers are about the same. Instead they offered to convert it to into a 2 cam bow with new limbs which was cheaper than buying a new bow altogether. When I got the bow back I did not like how it shoots so it sits in a case now with less than 50 arrows shot through it.

So as others said - go shoot them and buy what feels best but they sure don't make them like they used to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts