The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Spitfire heads for 15 years with good success with my bow and then with a Horton crossbow. My concern is that I bought a Mission Dagger, and it shoots much faster than the Horton. I've shot the Spitfire practice heads, they fly fine. Is there gonna be a problem with the expandable head flying open after the release. I've been told that with high velocity Xbows it can a problem.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can't comment from personal experience since I shoot the Killzones but I have recently read some people are having this happen with the faster bows with the Spitfires. I know for years I never seen much about it with speed it seems some are having problems that I have rad about on other forums.

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Spitfires have been getting some premature deployment in some of the faster bows. I would look at the NAP Killzone Crossbow if you like NAP broadheads and you want some peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I was worried about having flash deployment with the spitfires in my Cyclone so I shot a few, all be it with a lot of reservations and though I didn't have any I still chose to "beef up" the retention system on them and add a rubber band from another style of head and have had zero issues with performance on game all the way to 40 yards. My Ohio buck was 39 yards and the head deployed perfectly with a LARGE entrance hole and penetration to solid bone (bad shot due to him turning as I touched the trigger).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took a doe on Saturday with my Stealth SS and a 100gr Nap Spitfire, the head worked fine. Pre-season testing on my rig showed no sign of early deployment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts