The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bunch of supplies for making my own spinners, my question is. What kind of hair is used for the rooster tails that covers the hook, or what kind of hair do the spinner makers use? I have a bunch of hair for tying flies, but I cant seem to find a hair that matches that of a rooster tail.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Hackle works best. Deer hair is to stiff in my opinion it kind of holds the hook there and doesn't let it dang freely behind the spinner.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I grew up in northern Wisconsin and have seen Mepps ad's in newspapers and in Fur-Fish-Game magazine with offers to buy squirrel hair.

Mepps hair dressed trebles are bulkier then Wordens Rooster tail trebles. Hair vs hackle wrap. Wrapping hackles on a treble hook isn't much fun.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the first ones that I made, I lost my wire cutters so that is why the tag end is still attached.

Just trying to mix and match with the parts I ordered. I need to go and pick up 1/8 bodies. I ordered 1/32 thinking I would like them more than the 1/8th bodies.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Rooster tails use junky maribou, mepps uses squirrel tail as mentioned previously. Deer hair would not be a good fit for a tiny spinner like these. Deer hair is porous and floats and is way more bulky thank squirrel or maribou.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
TheDFP said:
Very nice job. Where did you get your supplies from? I am interested in making some.

I know you were asking someone else but janns netcraft and lurepartsonline are good places to start. I get all my parts from them two websites.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
G2CDeer said:
Hmm, I have some hackle, i'll see if that works. If not then looks like ill be doing some squirrel hunting this year.
another option is to use gold or red hooks.adds a little more flash to the spinner without having to dress hooks. lurepartsonline has vmc tinytrebles in gold. they are a decent hook for small to medium sized trout spinners.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not trying to thread jack. But I made about 10 spinners a few weeks ago. Tried them out the other day and NONE of the blades spin when in the water. Unless I reel super fast. They spin fine when out of the water. When I feel them in I looks like the spinner is riding on top of the blade. Any ideas?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sounds like the blade size is out of wack for the body weight. Different blades do behave differently, Colorado wide spin, Willow closer to body, etc. Picture might help figure it out. Have you weighed them or totaled up component weights? Riding on top, sounds like too much body weight. What blade type was used?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
m-192 said:
Not trying to thread jack. But I made about 10 spinners a few weeks ago. Tried them out the other day and NONE of the blades spin when in the water. Unless I reel super fast. They spin fine when out of the water. When I feel them in I looks like the spinner is riding on top of the blade. Any ideas?
I've been making spinners for over 30 years. Make sure you have a small bead or two next to the clevis. A large bead near the clevis will definitely keep the blade from spinning freely. I've also found that Indiana blades that are deeply cupped will only spin sporadically. You may want to look at the photo of a couple of my spinners on page 8 of the thread "Frank Nale's 2012 Trout Season Summary."

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys, I havent checked my post in awhile. I got my supplies from JannsNetcraft.com. These are the first lures I have ever made so its all Trial and Error for me, like everything else, this will be a learning experience.
I did make a couple of lures with hackle on the hooks, I like the way they turned out. If I remember I will post some pictures, and hopefully some pictures of caught fish with my lures.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Controversial......I know. Don't use hair. It looks like weed or algae attached to your hook and what's the first thing we do, we clean the stuff off because we know fish wont bite it.

It's not like you are getting a trout to bite it because you are tricking it that it's a fly or midge, it is biting it because of a natural reaction......regardless of what the spinner looks like.

I don't wish to hurt the feelings or business of anyone on this forum but colors and designs (with exception to color for water clarity) are to make the buyer bite, not the trout.

troutspinner

·
Registered
390 Posts
This post is about making your own trout spinners. You want them with hair, tie some on!

This is a trout forum, but your spinners can catch other species too.

It's your choice. Go for it. Experiment, have fun, and build your skills.

Dressed hooks can introduce buoyancy and drag. Depending on the application, water types, and fish species.

Drag and bouyancy could be a good thing, but not my favorite for trout, either.

I remove algae and leaves, When I see it, lol - because it affects cast accuracy.

Also because it clogs up the spinner's rotation, and you only get so many chances for a good cast in your favorite hole.

Dragging leaves and crud through the hole you know holds a big fish, is bad technique.

Puts them on edge unless you have a great muskrat or duck imitation!

I've caught trout with a slightly fouled hook and with dressed hooks, never trailing a foot of weeds.

Colors and design choices, that's a different story!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts