The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whom it may concern,

During the 2009 hunting season, on the first day of antlered deer, the Game commission’s officers made a un-warranted visit to our camp in Sullivan County on the pre-tense that they came to investigate an illegal trespass. No information was given by the officers and no questions were asked, about the trespass so I will assume that I was an ironic ploy to investigate the property.
One officer questioned the men at the cabin while another hastily inspected the grounds. I was in my treestand with my son, due to this being his first hunting expierence, and watch the man go from one unused deer feeder to another. I could tell they had been here before but was not alarmed because the feeders had not been used since summer-time. When ordered from our treestands and guns were confiscated for their records, I became alarmed. I showed the officers the four un-used feeders located with-in viewing of the kid’s bedroom windows and explained the part-time use of the property. They were pleased with the cooperation but still managed to close the property for the remaining hunting season and issue me a fine for hunting over a baited property. My Mother had apparently disposed of her Thanksgiving decorations behind the garage. A four sprig group of tied, dried corn stalks and a few rotten pumpkins. A half eaten donut laying near the porch was also noted.
It was explained how lucky for us that no hunters had harvested a deer or bear during the season or the fines would have been substantially greater and that they had just closed down a much larger camp this morning. I thanked them for their time and we left camp for home in the morning.
I made calls to the District Justice about a hearing but gave up since I had just used my week vaction to prepare for the upcoming hunt and time away with my 12 year old’s first hunt from camp. A four hour drive and asking for more time off from work appeared as addition punshment. I’m not sure if I’ll take my youngest sons to a Hunter’s education course this year. Good memories of hunting are getting hard to come by in PA.

Sincerely,
William Crist Jr.

Re: Any Game Commission whines <-- I had not nuch luck expressing my total disguest at the time.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
As stated the first time you posted this - contact the Harrisburg HQ of the GC - file a complaint. It is your right, it will be investigated. Otherwise pursue this in the courts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live 1 minute away from PA Game HQ. No answers per phone calls. I'll post this letter as soon as I'm happy with the verbage with the Sullivan Review.. I hafta live with my neigbors. I'll take on the game commission ASAP. Thanks for any advice. Thanks ahead~Ned

·
Registered
954 Posts
Why no court hearing?

Hearing just your side of the story and saying IF that is exactly how things happened, GOD himself could not have kept me away from that courtroom so I could explain the injustice that happened to me.

I never understood why people write letters complaining about unfair treatment but when given a chance to explain their side of the story to a judge...they send in a guilty plea?????????????????

You also said your guns were confiscated for their records...what does that mean? Everyone reading will think that your rifles were confiscated means that you did not receive them back. I am betting that did not happen and the officers just took caliber info, serial numbers, etc and you got them handed back to you that day.

When you write a letter tell the facts...don't over dramatize the situation because it hurts your credibility.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I know it sounds crazy but, somehow, I'd bet there's more to the story..................

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Since there might be a possible pending complaint, I am not going to comment other than to say search the past post of the OP in this thread, you can easily find where he posted about this before, and I offered to contact the WCO involved and requested he send me a PM and clairification, I never recieved a PM.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Ned,I have no whines about the PGC.The officers do the job as they are intended to do.They do not make laws they simply enforce them.The fact that 2 WCO's were there makes thier complaint more justifiable to me.They must have agreed it appeared to be a baiting situation.Nothing personal here but you may have jerked off a neighbor.You appear to be a hothead at times.If you made a mistake admit it,if not go to court.Trying to gain support for your case in a internet forum will get you nothing.If someone said the same thing happened to me it does not matter as it is a seperate legal action against them.I will suggest in the future don't even feed the deer on your property other than a food plot.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I'm pretty certain that Ned will find the court of public opinion far harsher than he realizes.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
This is why we have courts. If all trace of bait was removed 30 days prior to the hunt, and your doing nothing illegal why not hire a lawyer and handle this in an adult manner. The court room is the place to discuss this, not a public forum or newspaper.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I talked to the WCO involved, The op has left alot of the story out. Details like others that were issued a warnings and salt blocks, you know little details like that.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Thats why this isn't the place for this. Most folks aren't going to say "Aww poor hunter getting picked on". when you only hear one side of the story. Salt blocks and prior warnings... save your time and take your medicine!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Oh, like minor details called "evidence"? Funny how the injection of the back story kind of puts things in a more realistic light.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Ah ha, now I see, the old salt block Thanksgiving decorations, just like the Pilgrims used.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Real shame, first the kid sees what happens when someone violates the law and now he gets to watch as his old man trys to push the blame to someone else. Not the learning experience I would want my child to have.

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
Take the time and energy your going to waste writing to the local newspaper and trying to spin what the WCO found and use it next season to make sure you have nothing that can be considered bait. This includes bowls of dog food.

Don't turn your sons first hunting experience into a one sided lesson on how the WCO's are only there to bust the hunters chops.

·
Registered
730 Posts
What a shame if you break the law dont come on here and try to make us think you didnt,I take my salt block in everyear in august just so the deer stop coming to it,We only put them out so friends that come to camp in the summer can watch the deer these are people who don't hunt just like seeing deer.The thing that really bothers me the most is that half eaten donut you never know where something like that can lead a guy half eaten pie???

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
I don't belive the story about the doughnut at all.No self respecting WCO that I know of would collect it as evidence instead of eating it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts