The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hits keep on coming.

Yesterday, I received a $100. dollar notice with photos of my truck behind a tractor trailer and a white car in the mail from Sioux City Iowa. The notice indicates my 2016 Ram was going 61 mph in a 50 mph zone. On the date of this incident which was 3 weeks ago, I was heading to South Dakota with a buddy for a prairie dog hunt and I wasn't sure who was driving at this time.

I was able to download a very very short clip which was useless which shows my vehicle in motion behind the white car and truck. There were no stills of the posted area or that the area was enforced by camera.

My buddy said that I should trash the notice because on the notice it indicates in big red ink: NOTE: THIS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION. BECAUSE THIS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION, no record of this violation is sent to your insurance company or the Department of Motor vehicles. My wife thinks I should pay it.

Also, on the way home I sustained $3300 in bumper damage after my truck made contact at about 70 mph with 2 deer standing together on rt. 80. at about 4AM. They say you should never overdrive your headlights but that was the posted speed limit. Thank God nobody got hurt and I was able to drive about 400 miles to get home.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
A few years ago I drove to SC hunting hogs. While going down 95 in NC I accidentally got into an express lane , I got off as soon as I could, less than a mile and continued on to my destination. A few days after I got home I received a letter with a picture of my truck and a time stamp and date telling me I owed them $4.00 for driving on the express lane and not being authorized to do so. I wanted to send them $4.00 in pennies but it would have cost me more than the fine so I went on the web site and paid it with a credit card.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Was the notice sent to you certified mail that you had to sign for it? If not, I'd chuck it and claim I never got. If they want to waste their money, they can keep sending notices in hopes to collect their "fine". On a traffic violation with no cop, I'm definitely not paying on first notice.

I did get my photo snapped running thru a PA Turnpike EZ pass lane a couple years ago. I paid that since I was dead to rights on theft of the precious toll road system. $40 + mistake.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Even if they do not notify Penn Dot the auto insurance your name and plate number will wind up in the system and the police in most states have license plate readers to pick up people who have warrants. If you plan on going through Iowa again you might want to think about paying the fine.

Reactions: Potter Co. Joe

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
The hits keep on coming.

Yesterday, I received a $100. dollar notice with photos of my truck behind a tractor trailer and a white car in the mail from Sioux City Iowa. The notice indicates my 2016 Ram was going 61 mph in a 50 mph zone. On the date of this incident which was 3 weeks ago, I was heading to South Dakota with a buddy for a prairie dog hunt and I wasn't sure who was driving at this time.

I was able to download a very very short clip which was useless which shows my vehicle in motion behind the white car and truck. There were no stills of the posted area or that the area was enforced by camera.

My buddy said that I should trash the notice because on the notice it indicates in big red ink: NOTE: THIS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION. BECAUSE THIS IS A CIVIL INFRACTION, no record of this violation is sent to your insurance company or the Department of Motor vehicles. My wife thinks I should pay it.

Also, on the way home I sustained $3300 in bumper damage after my truck made contact at about 70 mph with 2 deer standing together on rt. 80. at about 4AM. They say you should never overdrive your headlights but that was the posted speed limit. Thank God nobody got hurt and I was able to drive about 400 miles to get home.

I would make sure that it was legit and not someone scamming you. If it is legit then I would pay the fine and move on. You could try fighting it but that would cost you more than the $100.

Sounds like your trip was not a good one and was expensive.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Only ever had one camera initiated fine....EZ pass while in DE. Found out transponder wasn't working. After much back/forth...fine was rescinded.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
It's called responsibility. We all make mistakes, and when we do we should man up and pay the price. I figured that was how everyone handled stuff like this?

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
If it were me, I would throw it out and not worry about it.

I would do a little research but, from what I read, there will never be a bench warrant or any such thing for civil infractions in Iowa for you if you don't pay it.

Texas (I know, different state) went through this with red light cameras and eventually, most citys/towns took them down because they were unenforceable. The companies operating the cameras get a percentage of the $ collected from the "fines" paid so it is in the companies' best interest to collect as many "fines" as possible. Money making scheme for the company and the cities and towns that use them, nothing more, nothing less. Most of the towns pay NOTHING for the equipment provided by the companies yet reap the benefit of the "fines" levied.

I would definitely do your due diligence though and research what Iowa's laws are and if there are little to no issues (no insurance issues, doesn't get reported to PA DMV, no warrants, etc.) plus you may return there only infrequently, then the risk to you is probably very minimal. It seems the worse that "could" happen would be this could go to collections in the future but if you have good credit, it can be easily disputed and not really be a blemish on your credit report.

Personally, I have issues with "camera cops" being used for speeding and red lights, etc. Now, if a real cop catches me doing something, I will man up and take my medicine but something about due process, etc. not being followed when an actual person isn't the one issuing the infraction.

I included a few links for you......

https://littlevillagemag.com/iowa-supreme-court-rules-in-favor-of-cedar-rapids-i-380-speed-cameras/

https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...traffic-cameras-south-dakota-laws/3617630002/

Photo Enforcement ? Sioux City Police Department

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Iowa is a bunch of ?&*($%^ when it comes to vehicle infractions. I was on my way home from Ft. Sill OK back to PA for leave in 2006 and I was pulled over for speeding in Iowa, I was doing 80 in a 70 or 75. No biggie I'll own it I was speeding but the Iowa Cop gave me a $200 ticket for speeding and then another $200 ticket for having a set of spurs hanging from my rearview mirror for "obstructed vision of driving" or some other garbage like that.

Now I tried to ask the cop for a warning on the spurs because I was in the Army at the time and was in the cavalry and had earned those spurs on a spur ride and had no idea that was illegal in Iowa as I was just passing through. Also when he pulled me over I was in full uniform. He said that I broke the law, ignorance of the law, blah blah blah and I must pay the fine. I guess theres not much to do in BFE Iowa other than revenue collections.

·
Registered
19,080 Posts
how accurate are those cameras. from what i understand, hand held radar has to be calibrated, wouldnt the cameras have to be calibrated too. to much room for error.
could be a scam like the others said.

·
Registered
20,802 Posts
Iowa is a bunch of ?&*($%^ when it comes to vehicle infractions. I was on my way home from Ft. Sill OK back to PA for leave in 2006 and I was pulled over for speeding in Iowa, I was doing 80 in a 70 or 75. No biggie I'll own it I was speeding but the Iowa Cop gave me a $200 ticket for speeding and then another $200 ticket for having a set of spurs hanging from my rearview mirror for "obstructed vision of driving" or some other garbage like that.

Now I tried to ask the cop for a warning on the spurs because I was in the Army at the time and was in the cavalry and had earned those spurs on a spur ride and had no idea that was illegal in Iowa as I was just passing through. Also when he pulled me over I was in full uniform. He said that I broke the law, ignorance of the law, blah blah blah and I must pay the fine. I guess theres not much to do in BFE Iowa other than revenue collections.
You were in Iowa? I'm kind of surprised that the cop wasn't wearing spurs himself.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If it were me, I would throw it out and not worry about it.

I would do a little research but, from what I read, there will never be a bench warrant or any such thing for civil infractions in Iowa for you if you don't pay it.

Texas (I know, different state) went through this with red light cameras and eventually, most citys/towns took them down because they were unenforceable. The companies operating the cameras get a percentage of the $ collected from the "fines" paid so it is in the companies' best interest to collect as many "fines" as possible. Money making scheme for the company and the cities and towns that use them, nothing more, nothing less. Most of the towns pay NOTHING for the equipment provided by the companies yet reap the benefit of the "fines" levied.

I would definitely do your due diligence though and research what Iowa's laws are and if there are little to no issues (no insurance issues, doesn't get reported to PA DMV, no warrants, etc.) plus you may return there only infrequently, then the risk to you is probably very minimal. It seems the worse that "could" happen would be this could go to collections in the future but if you have good credit, it can be easily disputed and not really be a blemish on your credit report.

Personally, I have issues with "camera cops" being used for speeding and red lights, etc. Now, if a real cop catches me doing something, I will man up and take my medicine but something about due process, etc. not being followed when an actual person isn't the one issuing the infraction.

I included a few links for you......

https://littlevillagemag.com/iowa-supreme-court-rules-in-favor-of-cedar-rapids-i-380-speed-cameras/

https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...traffic-cameras-south-dakota-laws/3617630002/

Photo Enforcement ? Sioux City Police Department
It would not be a bench warrant, it would be a fine and costs traffic summary warrant.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The citation I received was legit. Some of the verbiage in some of the links provided by Justgrad was word for word on the back of the citation. Also, I was able to download the video that shows about one and a half seconds.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I love it when people who will not have to suffer the consequences of bad decisions give advice like the above.
Come on "Woods", You can't discern sarcasm when you read it.....
Personally, I wouldn't drive to or around Iowa again. Did it a few times and that novelty wore off real quick....

·
Registered
3,662 Posts

It would not be a bench warrant, it would be a fine and costs traffic summary warrant.
Ok, so my terminology was off but, it also states there will no warrants issued for this (traffic warrant), so your exposure is VERY limited, ie. possible blemish on your credit report.

I offered up what I would do.

If the OP was pulled over by an actual cop/patrolman, my advice would be different, as in pay up.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts