The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most know, a few years back the PGC permitted the use of flintlock pistols, 50 cal or greater, during the post Christmas flintlock season. (I think they can also be used during the early M\L....but don't hold me to that.)

However, in the "Special Regulations Areas" a flintlock pistol (=>50cal)is not permitted to be used.

I suppose there may be some logic to this....but I can't figure it out. Special Reg's are permitted shotguns, in-lines, and of course, flintlock long guns. But no pistols.

I dunno if the Special Reg's deer would know the difference......but it's just something that perplexes me.

Dave

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Yep, legal in early ML as well. Agree, dosen't make any sense not permitted in Special Regs areas. I suspect an oversight when regs were changes regarding ML handguns?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure where you saw they are not permitted because how I read it they are allowed. You cannot use centerfire pistols in special regs. ML pistols are not center for pistols.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It's a stupid rule, but muzzleloading pistols are not allowed in special reg, only muzzleloading long guns 44cal and up.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure where you saw they are not permitted because how I read it they are allowed. You cannot use centerfire pistols in special regs. ML pistols are not center for pistols.
When you read in the Special Reg's area what firearms are allowed......the flintlock pistol is NOT listed.

If the firearm is listed....it's permitted, if not.....it's not.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
If it was an oversight, the PGC has had years to correct the problem. They just recently corrected some "oversights" in the general muzzle loading regulations. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was an oversight, the PGC has had years to correct the problem. They just recently corrected some "oversights" in the general muzzle loading regulations. Maybe some day.
Yes. I sent an email (me with my huge PGC leverage :plain:) to the PGC making this request to include the flintlock pistol. I received a response at first, where the staff stated that BP revolvers would likely never be included, to which I responded I was requisition flintlock pistols only. Not "all" BP pistols\revolvers. Plus, they must be 50 caliber or more to be legal.

Maybe someday.........:crying:

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I betcha a beer at the Boar,s Nest that as long as it was .50 cal. there would be no problem.But don,t take my word for it ask your local Warden and see what he says.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I betcha a beer at the Boar,s Nest that as long as it was .50 cal. there would be no problem.But don,t take my word for it ask your local Warden and see what he says.
My pistol is a 50 cal with a 12" barrel. I will ask the local deputy game warden who patrols where I hunt about it. But I'll bet you that same beer he's gonna say no. He's a bit of a stickler on stuff. :sad:

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Not to highjack the thread but for YEARS a 40 caliber muzzleloader is not legal for deer or small game.The cut off should be 40cal and up for deer.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right from the digest:

Deer & Bear Season, Arms & Ammunition
• Allegheny County – Muzzleloading long guns 44 caliber or
larger, bows and arrows, crossbows, manual or semiautomatic
shotguns, .410 or larger using slugs. Buckshot is not permitted.

• Philadelphia County – Only bows and arrows, including crossbows.

• Remaining Counties – Muzzleloading long guns, 44 caliber or
larger, manual or semiautomatic shotguns, .410 or larger, using
slugs; 20-gauge or larger, using buckshot, bows and crossbows.
Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds.
Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks – Manual or semiautomatic
shotguns 20-gauge or larger using buckshot during special
regulated deer hunts only, bows and arrows and crossbows.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
This post is long before I signed up, but I also had the same question on the special regs area and 50 cal flint pistol. Well, I called the Commision office, got put on hold about 15 minutes, then was informed that the flintlock pistol (50 cal or larger), was LEGAL in the special reg area during the after Christmas Flintlock season. Learning this my 50 cal Trapper Pistol and I proceded to head out and harvest a good sized button buck. Yes Sir, they are permitted.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
:rolleyes:All that being said, I do have a question that I figure most of you know the answer to off the top of your head: Is it lawful to carry a flintlock pistol as a companion gun to your flintlock rifle?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
:rolleyes:All that being said, I do have a question that I figure most of you know the answer to off the top of your head: Is it lawful to carry a flintlock pistol as a companion gun to your flintlock rifle?

As long as both firearms are legal in the season you're hunting, of course it is. Heck if you want, you can carry rifles in each hand, have a belt full of pistols and a knife between your teeth. Might make for some heavy steppin' though. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I called the Commision office, got put on hold about 15 minutes, then was informed that the flintlock pistol (50 cal or larger), was LEGAL in the special reg area during the after Christmas Flintlock season.
Well, I will only say to you that I hope you got the proper ID of the person who told you this. Badge number or whatever.

I believe if you would get stopped by a WCO who follows the "The law is the law" nonsense, you will get a ticket.

If you don't either have the phone conversation recorded (with the other parties permission of course) or somehow documented.....you will pay....pay....pay.

MHO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts