The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the regs on fluorescent orange requirements, but there is no mention of the one and a half week span between the end of gun season and the start of the after christmas archery/flintlock season down here (12/14- 12/23). I was planning on going out with the bow next week, but I'm not sure if I need FO. Does anybody know? I think that I might considering it is a concurrent gun/bow season for antlerless deer, but I'm not sure. If so, I hope it's like the early antlerless muzzleloader season when we can remove the FO on stand as long as some is displayed within 15 ft.

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
As far as I understand it, it's a "general" antlerless, thus orange is required. After Christmas, while the rifle season is open, so is late archery and ML, so you don't have to wear the orange. Doesn't make much sense when you look at it from the practical sense, but from the regs' perspective, it's just a continuance of rifle season. After Christmas, it's three concurrent seasons, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This had always been confusion for us also when we hunted in special reg areas. The book says it's regular archery season and no orange is required also you have flintlock season no orange req. However, I would at least have it on while moving since firearms season for does is still taking place. Better safe than having a slug come your way. When I hunted special regs, sometimes I would keep it on other times I would put it on my tree just for safety even though I was in a bow only areas. I have seen gun hunters in bow only areas, the wrong propery, and within the 150yard safety zone where you are req. only 50. Be Safe.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I called the Se office and asked about f/o after xmas. The lady said it was dependant apon what season you were hunting in... If you were using your back tag for bow or flintlock no orange. If you were using a doe/bonus tag you needed orange. Has anyone else called to check on this?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
from PGC news release

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/ser...se__126_09.html

Hunters using archery or muzzleloader licenses, and hunting with those special sporting arms, are not required to wear fluorescent orange clothing while afield, but are encouraged to do so where the seasons overlap with late season firearms deer hunters. Special regulations area hunters must wear 250 square inches of fluorescent orange clothing, unless they possess an archery or muzzleloader license and are hunting with a bow, flintlock or crossbow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts