The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Special Orders Do Upset Us!" Dreaded Back Order Status usually prevails...Custom accuracy barrels that are suppose to take 16 weeks take 6 months...Brass for reloading...out of stock and on backorder for ...6 months...Does not only apply to guns or shooting either ..Order a special order door knob from one of the large hardware stores....Delivery slips...Then they want to know if you want to cancel the order for the door knob yet. Eyeglasses same thing...They quote 3 weeks how about 6 weeks.

I don't know if this is a sign of the bad economy..Maybe not enough workers to handle the mfg of all of this stuff down the line.
I know the barrel people...Even if they tell you that it's 16 weeks delivery...They do not tell you..."Oh by The Way We Don't Start Work Until We Get An Order of 100 Barrels"..
However find out they now waited for 200 customers to order barrels before they started work.
Be wise if your planning on going on a guided hunt out of state and want to take a special custom barrel..Make sure you order it one year before you depart.
So Special Orders Do Upset Us Probably every Now and Then"

·
Registered
889 Posts
Re: "Special Orders Do Upset Us!" Dreaded Back Order

I learned something a long time ago. Custom rifle makers and barrel makers are in no hurry. It is just in their nature. They just do not care. They have no problem telling you 30 or 60 days when they know darn good and well that it will not happen.

The best thing with custom firearm work is never depend on any of it until you have it in your hands, and have tested it. I learned a long time ago to never order anything custom if I have to have it by a certain date. It just ain't gonna happen!! Tom.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Re: "Special Orders Do Upset Us!" Dreaded Back Order

Get a lathe and make your own?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
uncle buck said:
jayd4wg said:
Get a lathe and make your own?
LOL LOL

I know enough too just about get me in trouble.. Had vocational Machine Shop In high school for three years..

Yes but things have changed since the 60s.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep I probably lose a few fingers with the new stuff...Surely the lathe, milling machine and shapers are no longer like the 64-67 machines? I'd have to look for an old time lever adjusting gear speed lathe instead of some kind of push button automated control you do in your hands.. Then the heat treating too...Tough enough heat treating and then tempering a hole punch or a nail set or ball pean hammer let along the entire gun barrel.
Unless the bar stock already comes heat treated and tempered just right...
I would surely have to take a night school refresher course.. Ah cheaper to just order a custom accuracy barrel for sure....

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There pamplet and web site referenced a 16 weeks turn around..I finally got that barrel...took...6 months, 1 week, and 1 day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts