The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I needed to catch a cow, and she was never friendly. In fact wouldn't even come for sweet feed. Tried to chase her into a pen only to have her jump the 4 ft. side. Got her back into the woods and just couldn't corner her. I remembered that years earlier a buddy gave my daughter a lariat, so I went and got it. I have never practiced or tried to use one. I could get within 15 ftt of the old girl, but that was as close and she allow. So I got the lariat ready and tried to sneak up from behind a large tree. Well the loop just slid off her back and she ran around the other side of a downed tree. After another 3 or 4 tries, she was getting to wild to let me near and I was about to give up. When she suddenly stopped facing slightly away and lowered her head to graze. I swung that lariat surprisingly well . It landed over one horn and around her head. She began running. And suddenly I am running too through a grove of trees trying not to let go of the rope. We ll passed a young sassafrass sapling and I hurriedly wrapped the line around the two inch stick of wood and held on. Well she pulls and the poor little tree bends and she pulls harder and I hang on harder to keep the friction on the rope. She spins around and tries to back up away from the sapling that is now bent down almost parallel to the ground. She grunts and huffs and suddenly backs a little more and the sapling is pulled out of the ground, roots and all. Now I am running, holding a rope twisted around a sapling that keeps getting tangled under my feet. She made it to the back corner of the pasture and went to take a wide tuen. Gave me the chance I needed to wrap around a real tree about 6 inches in diameter. Again she spins around and tries to back out of the noose. This tree gives a little but also tugs back. When I get a little slack I tie the thing off and she just stands there, legs locked in a backwards tug and her head being held by the noose that really isn't very secure around her head. So I worm her, give the two shots the vet prescribed and now it is time to let her go. She had pulled the **** knot to a ridiculous tightness. I can't pry the knot with a screw driver and my she is tugging like mad. Suddenly she charges the tree and rams it. A little slack and I partially get the knot undone. She backs up and rams again, clobbering the tree and cutting her scalp in the collision. I get a little more of the knot freed up. she suddenly jerks back and twists her head and the loop slips right off her head and off the one horn. With that she lays down on the ground, huffing and puffing. Great I think, now she is having an attack of some kind. My daughter walks over and pats her on the head and the cow licks her hand. If you had her tame, why did you let me go through all this grief? Daughter just laughed. She isn't tame, you just worse her out. It had been drizzling, it was hot and humid and I had been rolled through mud, manure and wet grass. I was drenched with sweat and drizzle. My arms felt like they had been yanked out of their sockets. . I think she got the best of me. It will be a long time until I try roping a cow again.

Super Moderator
Good story.....Reminds me of a duck hunting trip I went on years ago with my buddy when we were in our twenties and we were hunting with two older gentlemen. Well it was a blue bird day and round noon we got bored and started telling stories. We were close to a large river bottom field where a farmer let his hogs run loose. One of the older guys spotted the pigs headed to a nearby water hole and says to his older buddy remember when we would run down, catch and rodeo tie the biggest fastest pigs. So to make a long story short we challenged them on their skills. They accepted and took some rope from the boat and gave chase as my buddy and I watched and cheered for the pigs. Well I guess you had to be there, but the old timers were running, diving, yelling as they would attempt to make NFL tackles. I think the pigs were enjoying it more than they were.....

After sometime the two rodeo stars returned to our blind covered with mud head to toe. They were bragging on their skills, but we never saw a single pig get hog tied. During the whole epic we were laughing as hard and loud as we thought anyone could laugh. I remember rolling on the ground and howling as my buddy was snorting in laughter. However, the intensity of laughter significantly increased when my buddy point at one of their foreheads which sported a muddy pig hoof print tattoo....The four of us laugh at that event for many years and the story seem to get funnier each time it was told. Sadly I am the only one of the four left; however, I hope the story made someone smile......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts