The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Females are different most breeds tend to live longer when spayed. Even people that breed will spay them when they're done breeding them if they're not too old at that point.
Lot of the vets now will wait until after the first cycle or 2 so their hormones (bone growth, immune system,development etc) can do their thing while they're younger.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess my main concern is that her personality will change and natural hunting instinks may be lessened just because is unatural and shell be loosing alot of her hormones. you guys all have good input thanks. any thoughts on this

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Nothing will change other than the risk of cancer is greatly reduced and you dont have to worry about unwanted pregnancies. My youngest was 2.5 years old when she finally came into heat, she will be spayed this winter after hunting seasons end. My dogs have never gained weight or had their hunting skills reduced after being spayed.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
i guess my main concern is that her personality will change and natural hunting instinks may be lessened just because is unatural and shell be loosing alot of her hormones. you guys all have good input thanks. any thoughts on this
That's a myth.

·
Registered
890 Posts
it doesn't change their hunting abilities ... I have two females & both are spayed. One got done earlier than I normally wouldve liked but she was already having surgery to remove something she shouldn't have eaten and instead of putting her through a second surgery - we made the decision to have the spaying done at the same time (after consulting with the vet of course). I do think it may have affected her growth a bit ... she's a bit smaller than her parents and her brother that we're with every week and never really seemed to grow into her paws.

What it hasn't done is change her nose, her prey drive, her attitude (of which she has plenty), her energy, her intelligence, or anything else like that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
any opinions on what you guys did with your dogs. i have a nsdt retriever i dont want to spay her.
Spay after first heat cycle, not sooner. Neuter after 18months. This allows the dog to develop hormones and bone structure. I "fix" my dogs simply because I have no intentions of breeding.
Good luck.
jb

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If your not gonna breed her then why wouldn't you?Not good for a dog to go in heat all the time. All my dogs are spayed and neutered. Less likely to wonder if and it can prevent some forms of cancer. It's a win win for both you and the dog.

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
My English Setter Mandy has been gone since 2015. I had her spayed after 6 months old and before her first heat. She was a wild child, good grouse log and very loving. She lived until 15 1/2 years old. No heat needed.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Clearly the risk of certain cancers would go up in an intact dog because a dog that has been altered won't have the parts that go along with those cancers. Kind of a misleadiing stat. If you cut stuff out it can't get sick. Doesn't mean it doesn't have negative impacts on the animal to remove them. You really need to do the research and weight the risks vs benefits in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I had my Riley Girl spayed and she was the best dog I've ever owned. Died about this time last year from bladder cancer and she had just turned eight. Been thinking about getting another GSP not for hunting but as a pet and for the grandkids.

Dog Dog breed Liver Carnivore Grey

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
As more information is available over time things change. Medicine especially. Many things have been abandoned that were considered the thing to do as better info became available.
Read the article BRDOGS posted above. I'm aware of some other similar studies over recent years.
I did not neuter my last golden retriever and if/when I get another dog they will stay intact.
Just IMO, your mileage may vary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts