The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing today I came across numerous"gravel piles".

At first I said "man someone's kid spent a lot of time piling up that gravel!

Then as I moved up stream I found more... sometimes numerous piles in the same area...

They were almost always at the tail end of bigger pools..calmly closing water..right now 2 foot give or take deep...

Couple pics of them...

I'm guessing they are rainbow spawn Redds????

Ive never seen such a thing...but that's my guess... anyone know for sure??

When do rainbows spawn? I thought earlier in the spring...?

I didn't notice them in April when I was there...but then again I found all these in a bigger Creek I didn't fish in April...

What about browns and brookies? I know they are fall spawners...

The creek holds all 3 species of wild trout...being July...I'm not sure what species made them? Or if they are even from trout?

I will probably do a quick write up of the day...was a good day...60-70 trout...and a couple other things of interest..one quite shocking....the 13 miles on the GPS on 5hrs of sleep left me pretty whooped... impromptu fishing adventure....the joys of being a trout junky in July during a pretty dry summer....i feel like a storm chaser...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Brookies + browns are fall spawners and rainbows are early spring at least in nature. Those could be old redds from trout but I'd guess that they are more recent from creek chubs. I see quite a few of them with chubs on them during May/June here in the SE.

·
20,190 Posts
I'm just guessing but I would say white suckers (zero research done on that) which are very very numerous on most of our larger PA wild trout streams. Just a guess though. I doubt you'd be seeing numerous Redd's this time of year. They'd be washed out by now I would think.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My guess is that the piles of stones were made by fallfish, particularly if the stones were larger than what you might think a smaller chub could move. There is at least one species (perhaps many?) of chub that makes piles of pebbles. I assume fallfish carry the stones in their mouths.

Definitely not from any species of trout.

White suckers don't make piles of stones. From what I've observed they lay their eggs in tails of pools and riffles in areas where they've kind of stirred up the gravel and rocks. Their redds are not as defined as trout redds from what I've seen. They're kind of sloppy spawners.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd certainly never have guessed suckers...but I did catch a plump 6" sucker and saw others on the bigger Creek the gravel piles were in...(I don't know my chubs and fallfish etc..they are all chubs to me lol).

Learn something new every day!!

Explains why they were in the bigger Creek and not the smaller one...smaller one was much colder...while the larger one was warmer...

I thought the same thing..the rainbow Redds would be washed out and the brookie and browns shouldn't be starting for a while yet...

Was pleasantly surprised to catch 2 or 3 wild bows from the larger creek though... should have gotten a good measurement on the one...biggest I've caught.. probably right around 12-13"..

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
I'm just guessing but I would say white suckers (zero research done on that) which are very very numerous on most of our larger PA wild trout streams. Just a guess though. I doubt you'd be seeing numerous Redd's this time of year. They'd be washed out by now I would think.
White suckers in south central pa spawn in late march to early april depending on water temps. In this area they run up small feeder streams out of the bigger waters to spawn. Reminds you of a salmon run at the peak of spawning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.