The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boy has a little 40cc 2 stroke eton (ATV) for puttering around the yard. Kid loves the thing. The other day I went to start it and nada. Was running fine up until them. I've recently cleaned the carb and stuff so I ruled that out for now. On a whim I unscrewed the spark plug but kept in in the gasket and shut all the lights off. Pitch dark. No spark with a rip the pull cord. I went and bought a new plug and did it again, and again, no spark at all in the dark. Switch is "on" and I am not missing anything. Any ideas for stuff for me to try?? I think I am just not getting a spark to light the fuel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if it has a tether kill switch/cord check that, had that go on my sons polaris 90, took me forever to figure that one out, it would turn over but no spark..hope it helps

·
Registered
243 Posts
could be a Capacitor-Discharge Ignitions (CDI) problem not sure if it has one or not i agree check the kill switch for any issue..... does it have a stator? i know u say u are trying to pull start it... is that the only way to start the machine or is there a electric starter on it????

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it just has a pull cord to start the engine. I'm getting ready to take it appart tomorrow probably.

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trapper Bill said:
if it has a tether kill switch/cord check that, had that go on my sons polaris 90, took me forever to figure that one out, it would turn over but no spark..hope it helps
I'm confused by this. Where would I look for this cause it is a possibilty. The only kill switch that I know of at this second in the on/off on the handle bars.

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I did find a kill switch in the back. It's a little button that has apparently been bypassed. I am not sure. Maybe the bypass has come disconnenct. Basically they removed the wires from the button and connected them directly. I hate these little quads. So tough and complicated to keep running and the kid is not getting any smaller. I need to get this thing up and running again SOON!

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Sounds like (as you stated) the bypass has come undone and is crossed now......I would check to ensure the engine kill switches werent "locked" to off position......and go from there.

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Let's see if we can put our heads together with this one LOL. I am totally stumped at this point.

Here is the on/off switch

Here are the guts

I have no clue how I could possibly tell if this is bad??

Here is the bypassed kill switch on the back.

I pulled it apart and put it back together. It looks clean as whistle and I couldn't tell if this is the reason. Should be fine.

A further photo

And lastly the spark plug/engine area.

Before I go tearing the things completely apart I thought I would search the web high and low for a simple answer. How the heck can this be so complicated. Like I said, 2 stroke quads stink....avoid them like the plague.

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now, it is true that if I turn out all the lights in the room and pull the cord, I should be able to see a spark, correct??? i recall being able to do that before.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
First make sure you clean all those contacts with the kill switch (my guess is the bypass is fine because it looks like it was done properly...not just twisted and taped)

That spark plug looks REALLY clean, especially for a 2 stroke.
But anyway.....you dont have to have the lights off....it it is properly grounded and things are "working" you should be able to see the spark jump from the plug t a grounded spot...you could use the old motorhead idea and have a not so well liked friend hold the end of the sparkplug while you pull.....if he screams...youve got spark

Its really hard to talk people through things like this....especially not being able to really see it as its happening.

Is there any fuel/oil on the plug or is it dry?

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
If the regular kill switch makes contact in the "on" position and is not making contact in the "off" position, leave it go...we can come back to that later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts