The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
What's this place going to? I got them too and I couldn't believe it. I guess money talks.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I got an email referencing huntingpa...but I figured the spammer just used huntingpa in the header to get my attention. I already deleted it, so I can't look to see the details.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Email claims to come from "Hunting Pa" not huntingpa.com
I got it for my acct(which has my email address public from when I registered) but my coworker did not. Like everything else, it isn't hard to run a query on any public site and gather all the acct info of people who are currently logged in. In the end it is pretty simple to unsubscribe or block sender instead of continuing to try and make a big deal out of nothing or accuse money of being the issue. As a matter of fact, if things that we actually do indeed use for revenue(again not this spam)bother someone enough, let me know and I'll see that the owner sends you the invoice for the annual hosting/bandwidth. My guess is you wouldn't want to put out a few thousand per year for the entertainment of others
for those who reported this to help, thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,451 Posts
I received that one this morning as well. But I also got about 12 other Spam emails from a variety of, I'm sure, completely legitimate addresses. Including one with a subject line claiming to increase stamina....that came from my own email address.

The spamming marketers have all kinds of ways to obtain email addresses, and other info, from these sites. There are a lot of security measures put in place, but for every new measure, there are people out there figuring out ways to get around them. And they will get through eventually.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Yeah that is the supposed address but if you look at the very bottom it says "you are receiving this from Hunting PA......"
As for the second part, thank you for understanding even though we didn't do this, you sir get it!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
At the top of the email, if you click on the link that says:
News from Friends of HuntingPA.com

It brings you right to this site. Did someone hack in maybe?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4c_game_chaser said:
As a matter of fact, if things that we actually do indeed use for revenue(again not this spam)bother someone enough, let me know and I'll see that the owner sends you the invoice for the annual hosting/bandwidth. My guess is you wouldn't want to put out a few thousand per year for the entertainment of others
for those who reported this to help, thanks
Revenue generation is not the issue. Annoying pop-ups and spam is an issue. I would much rather see a yearly membership fee than deal with pop-ups and the likes. There are lots of ways to offset costs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts