The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a good home canned recipe, from fresh tomatos that they would like to share/

·
Registered
322 Posts
I havent tried it yet but wallyworld sells Mrs Waggs in a packet. I have tried Mrs Waggs salsa and it is great.
Mike

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I make my sauce off the top of my head so here it goes.

Sauce
Smash and chop as finely as you can 6 nice sized cloves of fresh garlic until it gets almost pastey but loose.

Finely chop up 1 large onion.

Heat up a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a 12 quart sauce pot, and add the garlic paste to the heated oil. Saute the garlic until it just starts turning brown, then remove from heat so it does not burn. Doing this infuses the oil with the garlic flavor.

Peel and chop an 8 quart basket of Roma aka pear tomatoes.
I prefer Romas, because they are less acidic and have a robust flavor. ( Straight from my Grandma D'Angelo )
Put them in a blender or food processor and puree.

Add the onion to the 12 quart pot and lightly saute, the water from th onion should keep the garlic from burning.
Once the onion starts to get transluscent, add 1 small can of tomato paste and mix with onion garlic oil.

Then add all of your tomato puree, and heat to where it just starts to bubble. Then lower heat so it just simmers. Stir it as it warms up so it does not burn.

Then I add 3 tablespoons of dry basil and 1 tablespoon of oregano. (( For Pizza sauce I reverse proportion 1 basil to 3 oregano ))

Add 4 Bay leaves. These give flavor and make the sauce less acidic ... DO NOT ADD SUGAR ... makes the sauce more acidic.

Add 4 table spoons of fresh chopped parsely.

Sometimes I add 1 quart of washed and sliced fresh mushrooms.

Add 1/2 cup of grated Romano cheese.
Pinch of salt for good luck.

Let simmer all day at least 6 hours COVERED and stir occasionally, its even better if you eat it the next day, as the herbs absorb into sauce more.

I usually cook some Italian sausage in the oven then cut it into 3 inch segments and add to sauce, this adds more flavor.

I also add my meatballs.

Meatballs

2 pounds 80% ground beef
2 pounds ground pork
2 cups Italian bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Mix ingredients well, roll into balls, and cook on 350 F for 35 to 40 mins until browned up nice. When cooked I transfer to pan covered in paper towels to absorb excess grease, let drain and the add to sauce.

YUMMY

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just one word of caution, if you are canning sauce with any type of meat already in it, you should pressure can. I usually just do the tomatoes and add a jar or two to my homemade sauce as it is cooking. They really give a good fresh flavor to anything IMHO.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Did you want this recipe to can with?
Or just a home-made marinara sauce?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. I've been on rehab and avoided cooking for some time.

Our family always made the spaghetti sauce with a few cloves pieces(different than garlic cloves) Haven't had that in awhile. And a few means a lot. Use a few cloves; don't abuse them.

·
6,466 Posts
my wife has canned 8 gallons so far when she has time ill get her to post her recipe if its not a secret

1 - 8 of 8 Posts