The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm going to share one of those little indulgences in life. A CHEAP item with SPECTACULAR results, equally suitable for entertaining or dining with the family. Also a killer snack as I just finished a couple.

Get one of them HUGE bags of white corn tortillas - the 6-7" round corn tortillas, 100 count bag for about $4. Cut them into sixths, and bake at 450 on a cookie sheet sprayed with a touch of cooking spray. Watch them close and pull them just as they start to turn golden brown. Now who doesn't LOVE fresh tortilla chips? Serve with fresh salsa, or as below, making sure not to make ALL of them into chips.

Now, you need something to put on the chips...

We call it Taco Night:
1 lb ground venison
1 can Campbell's Nacho Cheese Soup
2 packets taco seasoning (might I suggest using Con Yeager?)
1/4 cup water

Brown the venison with a touch of vegetable oil, and add the taco seasoning packs dry. stir like mad, and then add the water (no more than 1/4 cup) and allow to simmer for a couple minutes to re-hydrate the onion bits in the seasoning packs, and let the flavor develop. After a couple minutes, add the can of soup, and stir like mad, remove from heat.

This alone can be served on chips Nacho's style topped with your favorite condiments (diced onion, tomato, shredded lettuce, black olives, additional monty jack cheese, etc.)

Yup, that looks pretty yummy, but it's not tacos. Well, maybe deconstructed tacos so let's change things up a bit for another Southwestern favorite

Venison Taquitos
Same filling as above
take 4-6 tortillas, and microwave on high for about 30 seconds. All microwaves are different yadda yadda cook times may be yadda different.
Once they are pliable, add about 1-1.5 tablespoons of the filling to each tortilla, rolling tightly to distribute the filling all the way thru the tube. Bake at 4-450 on a baking sheet (again, sprayed with pam) for about 10 mins, flipping once.
Serve with grated monty jack, sour cream, and salsa verde or guacamole. I personally refuse to buy avacado's for 2 bucks apiece, so my money is on the salsa verde.
-right out of the oven:

-all dressed up...

Now just for chip's-n-giggles, here's a quick recipe for...

Salsa Verde

4 poblano chiles
1 jalepeno chile
4 tomatillos
1 small spanish onion
1 chicken boullion cube
1 tbls ground cumin

bring 1 cup water to boil, adding the tomatillos (quartered), the onion (chopped fine), the cumin (cumin is the spice that makes mexican food Mexican Food), and the chicken boullion cube (boullion and soup base are used in alot of mexican cooking). Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Roast the peppers under the broiler or on the grill until the skins are charred. I use the grill, and once they are charred, place the hot peppers into a ziplock and seal for about 10 mins to allow to cool. The charred skins will now wipe off with a paper towel.
The poblanos have very little seeds in them, and what they do have won't hurt anything, so into the blender they go, whole or chopped, just remove the stems.
Add the tomatillo/onion mixture to the blender (don't blend yet...we're still adding ingredients
The jalapeno is where we get the heat from...more specifically, from the white part inside, and the seeds. If you like it hot, toss the whole thing in the blender, minus the stem. If you don't, open the pepper up and scrape off the seeds leaving as much as you dare. add the jalapeno to the blender.

Liquefy time. make it really smooth. taste, add salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy...this is the real deal, and probably better than any other green taco sauce you have ever had. I just LOVE making this stuff fresh. If on the off chance it's too runny, you can simmer it slowly on the stove to reduce. The consistency should be just slighly thinner than Heinz Ketchup.

Even my youngest son approved...and he can't eat it yet!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
That is good stuff right there. Nice recipe indeed. Thanks for sharing!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
enjoy it. i have a really good recipe for chile verde that is very similar to the salsa verde, but served warm with pieces of pork shoulder simmered in it for days.

In my 3 years in Vegas, Chile Verde quickly took my top spot for favorite mexican dish. Just ahead of chorizo and egg burritos for breakfast!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did anyone ever get around to trying the salsa or chile verde recipes? Hatch chiles will be in the markets in a little over a month from now...

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Not yet, but sure will. I've got a few to share as well. gotta make for the annual Cinco party at the Dingo Den! This years will be held on Memorial Day Weekend due to confilicting schedules....

Jay, have you ever made the chile rellenos and mix ground veni in with the jack cheese? It's awesome!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes i have...and it is the BEST! I figured someone would pick up on why i bumped this thread
HAPPY ALMOST CINCO DE MAYO!!!!

PS, i just went out to the new Giant Eagle market District store in robinson...they had a TON of fresh tomatillos and some really good looking poblano peppers.

I have another good recipe for chile rellenos that uses 2 cups of cheese, 1 cup of diced roasted peppers (or 2 cans of diced peppers...canned peppers = YUCK), 2 eggs, mix it all together and bake until firm in a brownie pan. Cut into squares and oh boy...

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Yepper, I can't wait! My wife and I have had a party every year (except one) for the past 18!

I got a great Cookbook of all southwest recipes....I can't remember the name though...got it about 20 years ago, Some of the recipes we have added onto over the years!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i need to try making venison chorizo. i've done pork chorizo before and it's really easy, i'd have to add some bacon or something to the venison to help it out a little

BTW, if you have an Aldi market near you, you cannot beat their prices on limes

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
jayd4wg said:
i need to try making venison chorizo. i've done pork chorizo before and it's really easy, i'd have to add some bacon or something to the venison to help it out a little

BTW, if you have an Aldi market near you, you cannot beat their prices on limes
I do have one! I'll have to remeber that! Hand stuffed casings or press? I have wanted to pick up the grinder with press for a while now! What type of peppers along with the crushed?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i always just hand stuffed. i don't have a press. not the easiest to do, but your efforts are rewarded. big fan of this ground korean hot pepper i get from the asian market. it's ridiculously hot, but has such a wonderful flavor. it works well in the chorizo...along with cinnamon, cumin, and some other "secret" spices

1 - 14 of 14 Posts