The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of us are looking to go on a wild boar hunt. Not looking for a preserve any advice on outfitters is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Cedar Knoll Hunting Lodge in South Carolina. Have been going there for several years. Heading back down in May.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Whoever you decide to go with, go in the winter through spring, hogs are smart and can be tough in the fall when there is lots of feed in the woods. They are hungry critters though and come to bait well once the acorns are gone.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Heading down with my daughter to my usual guy, leaving on valentines day. Wish us luck ! Nothing says love like a daddy daughter valentines day hog hunt...lol

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
cwa1104sab said:
Heading down with my daughter to my usual guy, leaving on valentines day. Wish us luck ! Nothing says love like a daddy daughter valentines day hog hunt...lol
Have a great hunt!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah Lo, I definitely will. She is mongo cool, she's 17 and still loves hunting with daddy. Sad to say out loud but I do get more of a kick hunting with her than her brothers, I think that's because "boys are supposed to hunt" but she's my baby girl and where we live here on Long Island hunting is frowned upon due to the urban sprawl and the mentality here due to the proximity to the City. I'll post up some pictures when I get back.

Sab

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
cwa1104sab said:
Yeah Lo, I definitely will. She is mongo cool, she's 17 and still loves hunting with daddy. Sad to say out loud but I do get more of a kick hunting with her than her brothers, I think that's because "boys are supposed to hunt" but she's my baby girl and where we live here on Long Island hunting is frowned upon due to the urban sprawl and the mentality here due to the proximity to the City. I'll post up some pictures when I get back.

Sab
How did your hunt go?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ok, here's my review, sorry if it's a little long...We we're supposed to leave Friday, valentines day but due to the snow and weather we didn't get to leave till Saturday. We drove straight thru and got to Georgia sunday around noon. Along the way we had a blast-just the two of us in my truck alternating between my country music and her music. We laughed and talked without the distractions of other family members about everything from her boyfriend, to jobs, to her brothers and mommy. Hunting, fishing, politics name it. As we approached the camp a turkey went to fly across the road and when I couldn't stop in time we hit it with the truck right where the windshield meets the roof. The Jake shot into the air, came down on my tonneau cover, rolled off and ran into the woods. It became a source of chuckles for the remainder of the trip. Once we got to camp I introduced my daughter to Gary Frye. I have hunted hogs and gators with Gary numerous times and I was excited for him to meet my family. After the introductions we went out for our first sit. Gary told us the hogs were hitting the corn late and if we would wait till between 7 and midnight there was a good chance we could see a hog and get a shot. Brianna is strictly a bow hunter, for whatever reasons she doesn't want to hunt bigger game with a gun. As we climbed into the tree I realized we had never practiced getting in and out of a tree stand. It didn't matter. She did it with ease like she was doing it her whole life. We sat in the tree stand that first evening we were filled with hope and excitement-I'm sure many of you have experienced this, yet somehow for me this was different. This would be my last first. My daughter is my baby and at 17 this would be the last time I would ever sit in a stand for the first time with one of my kids. I'm not overly religious but I asked my father-who had passed away 4 years ago to the day to get a hog to show up just so we could see one. I asked St Hubert-the patron saint of hunters to let a hog amble by. I asked my grandfather who passed many years ago and taught me to hunt to get a hog out there. Basically I was pulling all the stops out. I wanted my daughter to see a hog. I wanted it so bad I could taste it. I would have traded anything I ever harvested or 1 hog. I'm sure many of you have wished and hoped for the same thing while sitting with your kids. This had nothing to do with me and everything to do with her. I wanted her to experience what I loved so dearly. Other than my family the only other thing I truly love is hunting. Hunting for me is much more than "killing an animal" it's the people, the places, sights, smells, the "spirit" it's everything. I couldn't ask for a more optimistic kid...every time she turned around she would say "Daddy, I feel like we're gonna see something" as night fell and it got dark my phone buzzed indicating there was a text message. I saw it was from my wife. She never texts me when I'm hunting. I text or call her so she doesn't bother me when I might be afield. Her text simply said "Bob got called-he's getting his liver" Bob is my brother in law. He had liver cancer. An organ donor had passed away and he got his second chance. I tapped Bri on the shoulder and showed her the text. She looked at me and simply said "we need to get home daddy" there was no hesitation, no "Woe is me" no "Can we leave tomorrow" we were also supposed to stop at 2 colleges on the way home for visits. There was no selfishness at all. At that moment I realized all my silly hoping and asking and praying for a hog were silly and a 17 year old girl put it all in perspective. I called Gary, he came and got us, we packed and left. We were in Georgia less than a day and were gone, however we had a good time and I learned a lot about my baby and about myself and what is really important. Bob got his liver Monday and he's doing great. The liver is fully functioning and he even walked for the first time today. If someone can explain how to post a picture I'll put up the only picture we have of our hunt. Anyway, I'm sorry it's so long but I wanted to do it justice. It was a VERY successful hunt and Gary asked us to come back when everything home gets squared away.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
WOW! Talk about raising them right. You should be very proud of that young lady! I wish you both all the success and joys of the great outdoors for many years to come. For now prayers and thoughts for your BIL. GOD bless & good huntin'

·
Registered
372 Posts
big28hunter said:
WOW! Talk about raising them right. You should be very proud of that young lady! I wish you both all the success and joys of the great outdoors for many years to come. For now prayers and thoughts for your BIL. GOD bless & good huntin'
thank you sir

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Sab,

So glad your BIL is doing well. Good luck when you guys are able to get back on the hunt, you both deserve it. I'm certain there is a great big hog down there with your daughters name on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts