The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sponsored by: Roscoe Sportsmens Association, Tri County Quality Deer Management Association, Covered Bridge Chapter of Ruffed Grouse Society, and the Southwest Chapter of Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

MENTORED YOUTH PHEASANT HUNT REGULATIONS

What do I need to do to qualify for the hunt?
You must attend a specially arranged “trap night” so we can assess your ability to safely hunt pheasants over our dogs and around other hunters. There is a $5.00 fee for all participants.

When is the hunt?

The Mentored Youth Pheasant Hunt will be held on Saturday, October 10, 2009, starting at 8:00 a.m.

Who can participate?

Junior hunters, age 12 through 16, who have successfully completed Hunter/Trapper education may participate with or without a hunting license and accompanied as required by law. Dog handlers and non-hunters walking in line with junior hunter(s) are considered active participants and members of the hunting party, which cannot be more than six.

Who must accompany the junior hunter?

Junior hunters 12 and 13 years of age must be accompanied by an adult member of the family who is at least 18 years of age, or by an adult serving in place of a parent. Junior hunters 14 and 15 years of age must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older. Accompanying adults must be close enough that verbal guidance can be easily understood. Sixteen year-old junior hunters may hunt alone.

What is the bag limit?

Both the daily and field position limits are the same as the regular pheasant season. The daily bag limit is two and the field possession limit after the first day is four.

What are the Fluorescent Orange Requirements?

A minimum of 250 square inches of fluorescent orange on the head, chest and back combined must be worn by anyone participating in the hunt. The orange must be worn at all times and must be visible from 360 degrees.

Where is the Mentored Youth Pheasant Hunt?

The pheasant hunt will take place at the McCann Farm in Carmichaels PA on October 10th, 2009 starting at 8 AM. All youth are requested to shoot a round of trap and have a brief lesson in hunting over dogs at Roscoe Sportsman’s Club.

Please PM me for available dates and reservations.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still have openings if anyone is interested!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone from HPA has to have kids in this age group!

Registration ends the 15th! Lets get signed up!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roger,

Check out Casey's post. They have all the hunts listed. Maybe there is one closer?

If you PM me your general location, I can guess how far it would be for you. Maybe it'd be worth the drive?

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Friday night and into Saturday morning, it rained here pretty hard. Saturday looked like it was going to be even more rain. Everything was a soaked and muddy mess, except for the spirits of the people that showed up!

In the morning, we separated the kids into groups that would change through the day. Nobody there knew anyone else, and it was a great opportunity to learn and make friends!

First thing we did was to talk to the kids about the importance of shooting in the air and NOT at running birds, and gave a quick safety talk.

We explained to all of the kids and their parents that the Game Commission granted us birds, and in the crates were some hens so the situation would be what they would face if we had breeding populations. We told them what the fine would be if they shot a hen and why it’s so important to positively identify your target!

Dogs were ready to go, as were their fantastic handlers!

The kids that have been on trap teams got to hunt first, while the kids new to the sport went and shot a few rounds from a hand trap.

The first group came back, and bagged a bird! Netboy (Brian Hanna with the Covered Bridge Chapter of RGS) was kind enough to show everyone how to clean pheasants.

After the demonstration, everyone was ready to get out there! (I'll post more photos as parents send them to me.)

We had one success after another with 6 or 7 birds being bagged in all.

Everyone had the opportunity to at least shoot at a bird, and all of the parents, handlers and mentors were encouraging! One of the kids commented "This is why they call it hunting"

Smiles were on everyone's faces, and they only stopped for very short breaks or waiting for a team to come back so the next group could go.

The kids got to hunt different kinds of dogs. Some pointed, and some flushed, and that was one of the cool things they commented about- they got experience!

The handlers gave out their phone numbers, and told the kids anytime they wanted to go, to give them a call!

There is even talk of a youth rabbit hunt and getting the kids and the ones who didn't make it because of the rain and threat of rain back out again!

The kids are definately pumped, and two of the handlers stuck around so the kids could continue to hunt.

The owner of the property was very gracious, and invited all of the kids back to hunt pheasants, small game and deer. There were even some coyote talks going on!

He showed them the best places on the property to hunt squirrels and thanked them for being fantastic guests (there was no litter anywhere) and safe hunters! Not even a hangnail, though one of the dogs did get some briars from working so hard! Not one hen was even shot at!

A couple of youth under 12 came, and they shot trap and went along on the hunt as observers. We thought it would be good experience for them, and they'd be even more ready and pumped for next year! I think we had 9 boys and 3 girls that hunted!

Great job kids!

The kids also jumped at least 5 deer when they were working the corn fields. One time, they got within 10 feet of two deer before the deer moved!

The event was sponsored by the Tri County QDMA, Covered Bridge RGS, National Wild Turkey Federation and Roscoe Sportsmen's Association.

I just want to thank everyone that had anything to do with this hunt, be it the PGC for the grant of the birds, the landowner, the neighbor who let us use his electricity for the lunch, the guys who delivered the birds (at exactly the time they said they would get there) to the dogs, the handlers, the parents and the kids-

Everyone was fantastic!

I'd hunt with any of you any time! What a great day! Thank you!!

We're already planning next year's event!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! I'm very appreciative of the fantastic group that was there!!!

VERY worth doing! Folks, I encourrage everyone to have a hunt that can, even if its a couple of kids!

Got some GREAT suggestions tonight from another group that did a hunt.

Going to take some of them and incorporate! Wow!

What a great day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts