The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a deer hunt in South Carolina and have it narrowed down to three lodges.

*Deerfield Plantation
*Buck Run Lodge
*South Carolina Trophy hunters

If anyone has had any experience with any of the above and would like to share their experience, or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Not a trophy hunter, no high fence, and maybe some opportunity at hogs too.

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Deerfield Plantation is a great lodge and would tell you that would be the place to go. Good people and good hunting. Intend to go back some day.
Buck run, well something about the owner and his brother in law hunting the same time you do and shooting all of the big bucks. Signing a 9 page document, telling you that he can kick you out at any time during your hunt if he doesn't like what you're doing. Hmmmm. Saw some nice dead deer---shot by the owner....No one else got anything worth speaking about and when I did shoot at a deer, he refused to go check out to see if it died. Tells me the next year he found the dead deer in the pines..Oh, I wasn't allowed to get out of my stand until he picks you up. Getting out early constitutes removal from hunting lodge..
Trophy hunters, never hunted there.

Big D

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I’ve hunted Deerfield every year since 1995. I’ve killed 55 deer (including 29 bucks), 3 big hogs and 2 bobcats on the place. I usually hunt the second or third week of October, but because of an early moose hunt next fall I’ll be at Deerfield the first or second week of December 2016. I’ve posted a story of my hunts on HPA every year for many years, below are links to 2015 and 2014. I’ve killed a number of very good bucks there as well, below are pics of a few.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...738#Post3628738

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...997#Post3426997

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Just based upon Loridr and Muttley's posts on here for years if I was to book a deer hunt in South Carolina it would have to be Deerefield.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Tidewaterguide said:
LORIDR,

I have never booked a hunt with an outfitter. How do you handle tipping each person and what percentage is usual????
Tidewater,

You tip your guide and the cook. For this type of hunt where your guide is simply putting you on a stand and helping recover your game the industry standard is 10%; I tip a little extra over that. You tip your guide personally at the end of your hunt. I usually tip the cook and in the case of Deerfield, the house keeper, $50.00 and give it to the owner to divide between them as he sees fit. On other hunts I'll usually personally tip the cook $50.00.

On hunts where a guide accompanies you all of the time during the hunt I'd tip about 15% depending on my perception of the effort he put out.

There are some outfitters who automatically add a tip to the price of the hunt and it seems to be getting more common. In that case it is what it is.

·
Registered
536 Posts
loridr said:
Tidewaterguide said:
LORIDR,

I have never booked a hunt with an outfitter. How do you handle tipping each person and what percentage is usual????
Tidewater,

You tip your guide and the cook. For this type of hunt where your guide is simply putting you on a stand and helping recover your game the industry standard is 10%; I tip a little extra over that. You tip your guide personally at the end of your hunt. I usually tip the cook and in the case of Deerfield, the house keeper, $50.00 and give it to the owner to divide between them as he sees fit. On other hunts I'll usually personally tip the cook $50.00.

On hunts where a guide accompanies you all of the time during the hunt I'd tip about 15% depending on my perception of the effort he put out.

There are some outfitters who automatically add a tip to the price of the hunt and it seems to be getting more common. In that case it is what it is.

Thanks for the info, that sounds pretty reasonable. Don't want to rip them off or have them pee in my coffee on the return trip

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
I can second Loridrs suggestion for Deerfield.

I've gone on 4 hunts to Deerfield w/Loridr, always did well and had a blast. It's a great place to hunt. My cousin joined us this past Oct for his 1st hunt there, he's hooked! We'll both be booking return trips.

BH

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I believe that I read in loridr's post that the have managed properties and "brown and down".

·
Registered
536 Posts
From what I gather most deer are legal there. It seems like a good hunt for deer, not necessarily a "trophy" hunt in the sense of the score of the average deer taken. They still kill some nice deer every year though. I'm going to take my 13 YO son to get him some experience seeing and taking deer if I can get an opening. Every one is a trophy to him.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I would not book a hunt with South Carolina Trophy Hunters. That was the worst hunt I have ever been on and would never recommend them ever. We left the hunt early it was that bad.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Loridr has posted the specifics, but I can summarize. Deerfield has several sections.
- Brown its Down (any buck is legal)
- 4 points any way you can get them
- 4 points to a side (they give you the brow tine)
- Trophy, 8pt min and a min inside spread.

Brown its down is self explanatory. In any of the other areas if you shoot a buck that does not meet the qualifications, it's $350. If you shoot a second deer on a sit (which you can do) that's $350 also. So if you shoot a buck that meets the criteria and 10 min later the buck of a lifetime steps out, you can shoot him too (and you'll pay $350 for that option- your choice).

And, on top of that- unlike other places there's no limit to the # of bucks. It all starts over on each hunt (2 hunts per day, a morning and an afernoon hunt). So if you are on 4 points to a side, you can shoot a buck in the morning, and another buck in the afternoon.

You never know what area you will be hunting, but Deerfield has a system. Generally you show up and each day the guides tell you what area you will be hunting. All hunters hunt that section. And each section is HUGE. Each time they hunt a section they make sure to not be close to where they hunted several days prior (there are several hundred stands on Deerfields property). This way no stands or areas get too much pressure, each time you go out you can be reasonably assured whatever stand you are in has not been hunted in at least 1-2 weeks. I've been there in late Oct and put in stands that hadn't been hunted at all that year (their season starts in August).

One other thing- on each sit you can shoot ANY doe, OR a buck. If it's the end of a sit and you have does around and just want to shoot something, go for it. BUT, if you shoot a doe and a buck steps out, that's considered a second deer for that sit.

Finally- Button bucks. Don't shoot them ($350). The owner Hugh will go through with you ways to positively ID a button buck from a doe. He's not out looking for ways to rack up charges on you, you have alot of opportunity to shoot some great deer and load up freezers full of meat w/o paying an extra penny for anything. He just has a system whereby if you go outside the bounds... there's a cost to that.

I've heard of places where if you shoot a "substandard" deer the owner goes ballistic on you, reading the riot act and at times even telling you to leave. You will experience none of that at Deerfield. He sets the policies, bag limits, criteria, etc. If you have a wallet full of money and want to shoot 10 button bucks on a sit, go for it.

Like I said, I've been there 4x w/Loridr, and count them as some of the best hunting trips I've ever been on. I'd highly recommend the place.

BH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts