The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left warm South Carolina this morning and returned to a cold 22 degrees and 3 inches of snow in Pittsburgh. Yikes! The outfitter had a hot stand that the pigs were hitting regularly and I managed to kill this nice red boar on my first sit.

Was hunting with the new Ravin R26. After I shot this hog, my buddy came to the stand and shot another at last light. The following day, the stand produced a few more hogs for some youth hunters. Action was slow on the rest of the properties so I was fortunate to be able to get this nice boar.

This is the view from the box blind overlooking a muddy road covered in hog tracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats....what do you think it weighed?
Thanks. Weight was right at 150, which is a slightly above average hog for that area. Looks bigger in the picture, though.

During the three days I was there, the heaviest brought in was 300 hundred and lightest was 50.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
What kind of butcher cuts did you have done? Did you cure any meat ....hams or bacon? I imagine wild boars are leaner than domestic hogs.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of butcher cuts did you have done? Did you cure any meat ....hams or bacon? I imagine wild boars are leaner than domestic hogs.
We just had them quarter it up and we brought back the ribs as well. This hog was donated to my buddies sportsman's club for their wild game dinner. The club members will decide what to do with it.

I killed one last July as well and brought back the quarters for myself. I didn't have any smoking or curing done. I just did some crock pot stuff with the quarters, grilled the back straps wrapped in bacon, and smoked the ribs. All were excellent. It is leaner for sure than domestic pork.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice job on the hog!

How do you like that Raven crossbow?
Thanks. The new R26 is so small it feels like a toy but is certainly not a toy in the performance department. Once you get used to how compact it is, it feels pretty comfortable to me. The only thing I don't like is the factory circle reticle.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats, what broadhead were you using?
The new SEVR. All titanium direct to consumer business model. You can buy any quantity from 1 to whatever. They are very similar to the Ulmer Edge. The pig I shot last July is on their homepage.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats. Price of hunt ? Success rate ? It seems like you had the only stand that was produced during hunt ?
Its about $900 for a 3 day hog hunt. Allowed one hog per sit. PM me if you want hunt details if you are thinking about going there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts