The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get this here first, then going to put it out to general membership after tthe weekend. I am looking for 2 folks right now to make the trip with me.

After 10 years of driving thru the Carolinas to go to the beach and thinking , I wonder what it is like to hunt down here I think 2010 is going to be the year I find out. I currently have 9 unspoken for vacation days and am looking to go somewhere out of state. I am not really a wait for 150” buck kind of guy and want a hunt where I can go and just relax and have some fun. I am still up in the air about taking my son, cause 1. That is a lot of school to miss, and 2. With my other kids coming into the ranks I kind of have to be careful about favoring him with these type things. Also may ask my Dad, but he does not like to leave Mom alone for more than a day so I expect a No.

Anyway, on the recommendations of Loridr and Muttly, I have been talking to Deerfield Plantation in SC not far off I 95, a big drive but not so much with good company.

Although I’d like to say HPA is picking up the bill for it all, that is not the case…however travel costs are covered as long as you BS enough to keep me awake and make the drive fly by...gas,hotel if needed, travel restaurants etc... I got the tab..

I am planning on a 4 to 5 day hunt with travel on the weekends at the ends, hoepfully just one day travel. I am told that mid-October is best, however that seems pretty booked up which leaves late September, early October, and late October and according to Deerfield late December has another good spurt of hunting to it. They kill the most deer in October..usually around 150 in that month. I can't go in early October because of work and frankly, late October I want to be here in PA. Late December I usually have had my fill of deer hunting, so I am thinking late September right now (last week of). It can be a little hot, but the deer are still very relaxed and you see alot coming out to feed as they have not been shot at much. Plus gives you all PA season with no interuptions.

They do have a trophy area were only 8 points with 15” spreads and above are allowed, but overall on the plantation it is forkies and better, and does if you want. You are allowed a deer in the AM and a deer in PM each day. According to loridr, if you plan on holding out for a nice buck it obviously decreases what you get , it is all up to you. He usually expects to kill about 3 deer, but says he is picky. me If i get a couple does and couple average bucks I'll grin for weeks...

This is treestand hunting over plots and shooting lanes in the thick brush. True southern Plantation hunting, long rifle shots from good rests.

Here is their website, not real imppressed by the site but they come under good recommendation (I think loridr has more pics from his hunts then they have in their gallery ) but it will give you the info:

Deerfield

Let me know ASAP if you thinking even a maybe...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Great offer Rooster , I would take you up on that in a heart beat but, my vacation days are booked up this year for when my son returns home from Iraq in October. Hope to take the whole 2 weeks of deer off and hunt with him. Also plan to go to Fort Lewis in Seattle when he gets there and maybe hunt there with him. I am sure you will have to pick from a long line of takers when this hits the open forums. Good luck on the hunt.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
RB,

couple questions:
1. Does that mean 2 deer per day NO limit overall?
2. Would they allow predator hunting at night?
3. are you stuck on the 4or5 day hunt, any chance at a 3?
4. do you have to let them skin/quarter? I'd prefer to do that on my own.

Let me know, I might be very interested depending on the answers.

thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Yes, a deer in the AM, deer in the PM every hunt day.
2. Have to ask...but my guess is no. There will be other hunters there and I am sure their number one priority will be to have hot stands for the hunters. Night hunting for preds might make a hot stand go cold.
3. I was not looking to break the bank with the trip at first and thought 3 day, but the more I talked him the more it seemed like that is the pace you want for a good hunt , especially should you want to spend some time in the trophy section, which i figure I will after I get a couple in the general area. I wanted the drive to be worth a nice trip, not a rushed one.
4. I think the deer come in from the field ungutted, least from the pics I saw and then get processed. I like to do my own too, but I think they got people on staff where that is their job, so I would not want to step on anyones toes.

I certainly can forward the questions to get official answers

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This sounds like a good trip but I do all my hunting down south in North Carolina. Been so for 3 years. I hunt with Choanoke Outfitters. 3 years ago I shot 2 small 8s, 2 years ago I shot 2 beautiful 8s and last year I shot an 8 and 9. And almost everytime I was on stand I could of shot doe. Last year I went down twice for a doe hunt during the last week in December and saw 12 different bucks in 3 days of hunting and I shot 3 doe. It is a great place. Yop notch. And probably a little cheaper on the Wallet. I will be down with my girlfriend the last week in Decemeber again and I am pretty sure he gives some good pretty prices the last week. Not trying to pursuade you but that is a recommondation for down south hunting

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
What are we loking at as far as cash outlay? I am retired so can go anytime as long as funds are available.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5BH20...I have committed to no one place yet, just want a southern hunt, can I get more info on that one...if it is late enough in December it opens it up to me bringing some family too which is big for me...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yes the website is Choanokeoutfitters.com

I go down in late December because of usually no other people are at the camp that late and it is just like being at home. It is owned by Zane and Josh Roberts. They drop you off in the morning about 45 minutes before light. You can pretty much pick what kind of terrain you want to hunt. Fields, Tower blinds looking over trails cut out of the thick stuff, Cutovers. Swamps. But they will tell you where they have been seeing deer. Like I said I will be down there either the last week in December or the second to last week with my Girlfriend. Maybe by then my fiance. But Give Josh a call. He is real easy to talk to and will answer any questions you have. His number is 252-395 0008.
Tell him Dan Hocker told you about his place.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that looks great too 5B...the guy at Deefield is real excited about more HPA guys coming down, I might of got in a bit too deep to back out.

Therefore...looking at hunting the week of 9/20 OR 9/27, travel on the weekends.5 day hunt, 2 days travel...

Cost 2000 for hunt, 175 for license, 35 x4 or so for butchering/taxi prep fee....so base cost # 2,315 meals and lodging included, adds up i know.

Could kill up to 10 deer ...LOL, but I think 4 or maybe 5 is more like it if you take a doe or two.

Hey your travel would be free and be full of one great BS session...

Let me know if any has serious intentions...like to get this on the board this weekend to fill up to a 4 person roster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts