The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use a Sous Vide to cook my venison roasts, and they come out perfect evey time. Sous vide cooking is the process of sealing food in an airtight container—usually a vacuum sealed bag—and then cooking that food in temperature-controlled water. The way I cooked this roast was I completely seasond the entire outside of the roast with satl & pepper. I then placed into the bag. I then added rosemary and several cloves of fresh garlic. Then I vacuum sealed the bag. I then place the bag into a pot of water heated to 122 degrees by the Sous Vide. I left in the 122 degree water for 10 hours. The Sous Vide keeps the temperature at a constant heat and it also circulates the water. When i got home from work, I heated a cast iron skillet at the High Setting on a gas burnerfor several minutes. I then added a little olive oil and then proceeded to sear all sides of the roast to a nice dark brown/black color, it took maybe 5 minutes total. I figured doing this increased the temperature of the meat to the 128 degree mark. When it was finished, it was a perfect medium rare all the way through,plus, not one bit of it gets dried out. You can't over cook the meat with a sous vide. It's the only way to make venison roasts for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Sous Vide is the way to go with just about any larger cut of red meat. Second to that I would say is the reverse sear which gives you similar results but in a shorter time frame.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
another way to make a roast is to roast it in a regular roaster until it is almost done ,take it out and put a can of cream of mushroom soup on and put back in until done

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I wish I had one of those things, I have a ton of elk roasts in my freezer.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I just ordered a Sous Vide heater from Amazon along with a supply of reusable bags of various size, the bags come with a vacuum pump. They will be delivered tomorrow. I have a freezer full of elk roasts I am hoping will be more tender using this method.

Reactions: PAtradarcher
1 - 7 of 7 Posts