The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
My wife makes some pretty good soups and I'm a fan of soup going way back. She makes a spicy tomato soup that I love, a couple different broccoli soups, a nice turkey, vegetable noodle soup, and several others.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I usually do not make homemade soups but my wife makes the Irish version of chicken noodle soup.
A major food store I stop in when I am working has great soups on their salad bar, my favorite are New England clam chowder, Italian wedding soup and beef barley.
If I am home it is usually canned soup, mostly tomato made with milk and you have to drink it from a mug.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I never heard of ribble either.
Ribbles....
1 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
3 tbsp water
1 tea spoon salt
Mix up until a dough like consistency role in grape size balls and drop them in your boiling soup, they expand a little and float to the top...Taste something like a role, but better......

·
Registered
506 Posts
Any of you have a favorite low sodium no msg powdered soup base? I go through too much boxed broth/stock and don't have time or effort to make my own stock. Going to try ribbles!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Wild Leek and Potato soup is one of my favorites. Make it while in season and freeze it for winter meals. Leek picking time will be rolling around before we know it.
I can't wait to start digging leeks. We always call them ramps, but I dont care what you call them, they are great.
Do you happen to have a recipe for potato leek soup, you would like to share Zeke?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Crap, I did a search on langostinos to make sure I spelled it right in this thread and now I have a ton of crab meat ads appearing on this site. Sheeesh.
Well, at least all the big boobed Russian ladies are gone for now.

LOL

·
Registered
823 Posts
I can't wait to start digging leeks. We always call them ramps, but I dont care what you call them, they are great.
Do you happen to have a recipe for potato leek soup, you would like to share Zeke?
Wild Leek and Potato Soup

(Ingredients)

½ stick of butter
Approximately 20 wild leeks, bulbs and greens, roughly chopped
¼ large onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed or 1 ½ tablespoons of minced garlic
6-8 baby carrots finely chopped
1-2 stalks of celery finely chopped
8 cups chicken broth (I used the powdered bullion at 1 tsp per cup water)
8 white potatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (whatever you consider bite size)
2-3 tablespoons of real bacon bits.
Salt and pepper to taste.
1 cup heavy cream

(Directions)
  • In a large pot melt the butter.
  • Add the chopped leeks, onion, garlic, carrots, and celery.
  • Sautee’ until the leeks and other ingredients have begun to soften and wilt.
  • Add some salt and pepper.
  • At this point add the 8 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil.
  • Once boiling, add your potato chunks.
  • Boil until the potatoes are cooked.
  • Add bacon bits, and then use a hand blender to blend the leeks, onions, celery, bacon bits, potatoes etc. (You can blend soup as smooth or as chunky as you prefer)
  • Add some more salt and pepper, if needed, to suite your taste.
  • Add the heavy cream and stir all ingredients together.
  • Serve while hot.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts