The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
29,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime ya have a mug just because it's a cold winter day. So, what are some of your favorite winter warm up soups (It's 5 degrees outside right now and I'm having Cream of Tomato with Rice).

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
A Walmart near me actually has some pretty good lobster bisque. The One closest to me doesn't, a shame.
But that stuff is excellent on a cold day with some crackers. Used to be a restaurant nearby that had it as well. They put a lot of langostinos in it. It was awesome. Sadly, they sold out and that recipe is lost to the ages.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
My wife makes a venison vegetable soup for me. She makes about 3 gallons and freezes it in 16 oz containers. I know what’s in it...,my job is to bring all the jars up from the basement.....2 quart of canned shredded venison, quart of yellow quart of beans, quart of green beans, quart of carrots, quart of canned potatoes, quart of peas, quart of tomato juice, quart of frozen corn, and some onions. All the vegetables came from our garden. Only thing that’s bought is a pint of beef broth and some seasonings.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Ham & Bean soup was always a favorite at our house.....
With Northern beans, chicken broth, some water, cut up ham chunks, one bay leaf, chopped onions and cube some potatoes ( add carrots if you like )....and then make some Ribbles and float them on top......

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
In the summer I go clamming and shuck the larger ones on put the meat and juice in plastic containers and freeze them. When its cold I love to make New England clam chowder - quick, easy and delicious. Also make the Manhattan clam chowder to switch it up. Much better than using the clams you buy in the can.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had to Google what ia a ribble.
Make alot of soup this time of year as wife and I both take a thermos to work daily. Have a crockpot with warm setting to leave on overnight. Get creative with leftovers and fridge cleanout. broth/bullion always needed and sometimes will rescue the creation with store bought canned soup. A couple of random items that use often to throw in the pot:
From harmony house foods online: Dried soup vegetable mix and tomato powder. If you have never used tomato give it a try. A little bit goes a long way for added flavor. Pre pandemic would always go on sale late fall. Don't buy thier pre-seasoned mixes as way too salty but their other products are good just$$ if not on sale.
Bob's red mill vegetable soup mix. No veggies this is all grains. Online or in some stores.
1/2-2/3 cup of each mix, broth, seasonings, and 2-4 Tbsp tomato powder will make an OK veggie soup but I tend to just add it to whatever is in the pot to spruce things up. Using dried stuff with no quick boil presoak in a crockpot is 4 hrs high 8 hrs low.

·
Super Moderator
28,381 Posts
I have to add, I do also enjoy a bowl of simple chicken broth and rice, with crackers, on a cold day or when I don't feel well.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts