The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PGC has publicized their proposals for the 2010-2011 hunting seasons. Under these proposals WMU 3B will remain a two week concurrent buck/doe WMU. I would like to know if the folks on here who hunt 3B agree with this, or do you believe as I do that WMU 3B is in drastic need of a substantial reduction in the doe harvest. I do my hunting out of a camp in Sullivan county and from where I stand, the two week doe season has just about brought the herd to the brink.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would like to see it go back to doe opening on the
last Saturday of buck season. I do most of my deer
hunting on S.G.L. 36 and the deer are getting a bit
scarce.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I hunt 3B on private land and SGL 13 and sgl 142 no problem seeing or getting deer here, 3 buck and 3 doe this year between 8 hunters!!
Talk to Nuge about SGL 13, I believe he saw a load of deer this year while hunting the extended season for bear.
Also 2 guys in camp passed on all doe and some basket 6 points.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I totally agree the doe season should be reduced to 3 days like in the past,esp. in this area.I have never hunted anywhere else but Bradford county for the last 46 years in this area long before it was known as 3B.I know people don't like to hear about the good ole days,but these aging eyes remember 30-40 deer crossing fields and nothing to see the same amount of deer on the first day.Since Gary Alt sold us this bunk on quality ,we as hunters,and we are partly to blame have really decimated the herd.In the last 9 years there has been 2 years i didn't see a deer on the first day.I know the reasons,i don't hunt hard enough,i don't go into the woods far enough,i've sit in the same place,by the same old tree and see the same squirrel,now with his great grand kids,and day dream too much about the good ole days.Granted i can't carry a #80 rucksack and #25 webgear along with my M-60 or M-79 and also my 8 gals of h2o in my fat rats + ammo like i did in Vietnam when i was 19,but i still consider myself in decent shape thanks to God.If we can't go back to the original 3 days,at least make it just the last week.Hopefully Jay Delaney will suggest this at the possibility of losing his position.Would like to see a few more by the time i'm 95,LOL.In ending i would just like to say the our fellow hunters have to take the responsibility also and cut down on the amount of deer they kill.Were all in this together.Thank You

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the record, I do most of my hunting on SGL 66. The rest of the guys in camp hunt either 66, 13, 57, or Rickett's Glen. What once was a great thing for my father and I on SGL 66 has now become a desert. I would feel confident in making the statement that the shooting on the first day this year was about half of what it was under the "old laws" (Buck only...3" on one side...etc.) One would think that with doe, buck, and bear all legal that the shooting would be multiplied by two or three. The shooting was ridiculous the first few years of the "new laws," but has dwindled more and more each year. Also for the record, my camp hunts buck only. We were skunked this year for only the second time since 1955 with either 04' or 05' being the other skunk. In a typical year we field an average of 14 or 15 hunters.

·
Registered
652 Posts
11B4PT2 said:
I totally agree the doe season should be reduced to 3 days like in the past,esp. in this area.I have never hunted anywhere else but Bradford county for the last 46 years in this area long before it was known as 3B.I know people don't like to hear about the good ole days,but these aging eyes remember 30-40 deer crossing fields and nothing to see the same amount of deer on the first day.Since Gary Alt sold us this bunk on quality ,we as hunters,and we are partly to blame have really decimated the herd.In the last 9 years there has been 2 years i didn't see a deer on the first day.I know the reasons,i don't hunt hard enough,i don't go into the woods far enough,i've sit in the same place,by the same old tree and see the same squirrel,now with his great grand kids,and day dream too much about the good ole days.Granted i can't carry a #80 rucksack and #25 webgear along with my M-60 or M-79 and also my 8 gals of h2o in my fat rats + ammo like i did in Vietnam when i was 19,but i still consider myself in decent shape thanks to God.If we can't go back to the original 3 days,at least make it just the last week.Hopefully Jay Delaney will suggest this at the possibility of losing his position.Would like to see a few more by the time i'm 95,LOL.In ending i would just like to say the our fellow hunters have to take the responsibility also and cut down on the amount of deer they kill.Were all in this together.Thank You
I am at a loss for words after reading that!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WhitetailFanatic I am at a loss for words after reading that! [img said:
http://testvb.huntingpa.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Personally, I think he hit the nail on the head. I guess the part about his combat load in Vietnam takes some deciphering, but I thought it was a very informative and thoughtful response.

·
Registered
281 Posts
3 day season is what we need. hard to see a deer where we hunt it stinks driving mountain laurrell all day and never seeing a deer.their is alot of bear though didn't see where the extended season hurt them any

·
Registered
416 Posts
i just bought a camp in april and spent my first season looking for deer in 3b with no luck drove and walked many miles buitiful country but didnt find to many deer but id say 3 day would be a great start or even close doe for awile

·
Registered
461 Posts
agree, something needs be done in 3B, i live right in the heart of it-travel- it daily over most of it-hunted everyday of rifle, and muzzleloader season, very few deer seen,even compared to the last 6-8 years. our camp even trys to manage the heard in our area, by limitimg the # of doe we will kill. but we can`t control what our neighbors do, deer # are diffenitly dropping. didn`t see a legal buck all season.

·
Registered
22 Posts
something definatly needs to be done in 3b I agree I would like to see it go back to the 3 day doe season. I would also like to say that all the blame can't be put on the game commission us as hunter have to take it in our own hands and not have such a happy trigger finger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
btechvft70 said:
something definatly needs to be done in 3b I agree I would like to see it go back to the 3 day doe season. I would also like to say that all the blame can't be put on the game commission us as hunter have to take it in our own hands and not have such a happy trigger finger.
I completely agree with you in that the hunters are the ones pulling the triggers. However, it is up to the PGC to regulate the deer harvest. It would be nice if hunters would exercise some intelligence on their own, but lets be honest here.....there will always be a LARGE number of hunters who would be perfectly willing to shoot the LAST deer. The whole mentality of "if not me then someone else will" is all too real, and completely ends the hope of the hunter regulating the harvest. While this fact is pathetic on the hunters' part, it is reality. In the end, it is all in the PGC's hands to reverse the tide......God help us all!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've hunted 3B, specifically Sullivan County private land since 1968. I remember the days of seeing 40 deer in a herd and if there was a 3 or 4 inch spike in it you were lucky. I know now that the herd needed reduction in Sullivan and it has happened. This year was quite different. Hardly any deer sightings the first week, but the second week was much much better with many more sightings and shooting opportunities. The size of deer harvested has dramatically increased from the 60-70 lb. does and 90-100 lb. bucks with small racks we used to get. Does with twin fawns in the spring are very common now. As for a 3 day doe season, that is gone just like the huge herds and both won't be back. I think things are fine in Sullivan County with the deer herd right now. Less sightings but bigger deer overall. I will be going up to camp in early February to continue my search for the "hole" that they crawled into around our place the first week of rifle season, because they sure weren't around until the second week. 120-130 lb. does and 150-160 lb. bucks with decent racks are common now.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I just pretend I'm hunting Maine, then I'm happy if I see 1 deer in a week of hunting. It is what it is and until the powers that be decide to change it all you can do is make your voice/opinion heard. I don't think we can ever know all the behind the scenes "stuff" that happens in making PA game management decisions and who has what influence. We are talking about a state agency here. In the meantime I don't pretend to know more than the state game biologists. Just my way of dealing with a reduced herd in my own head. Let's me still enjoy my hunting without fretting over all of this until some changes are made which I believe there will be, just a matter of when (hope I'm still here).

·
Registered
435 Posts
3B herd is hurting bad. I've hunted all over the state and there aren't too many areas in the state worse to deer hunt now than most of 3B.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts